Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Where I could have been yesterday

I externed at a county prosecutor's office my third year of law school. For those of you familiar with our area, it is the other county in this area that starts with the letter H.

My first day of my externship, the prosecutor called me on my cell phone, asking me if I could start the day earlier, and be at it all day long. I was all "oooooohhhh, COOL!"

So I ditched my classes that day, and joined the prosecutor. Because my first day on the job, somebody decided to end up dead in a car. And in the little town where the law school was, that was BIG news. Of course, really ... any death is big news.

This was a student of the university. And because it was a death, but presumed to be a suicide, we still had to investigate.

It was an eye opener for me. Even though it was pretty cut and dry, I had to go to the apartment of this kid and see the cats that he had left behind. I had to go to his apartment and look at the possessions that he would never touch again. No note was left.

It was, to say the least, a very interesting day. And I thought "I could do this for a living. I really could."

Then I started to get more into the nitty gritty of life and work at the office. It was a place that I willingly went. I liked the attorneys who worked there. I liked the prosecutor. And he liked me enough to offer me a position as an assistant prosecutor as soon as I took and passed the bar. But I was moving to Kentucky (because Ace was already there, working) so I couldn't ditch him. It was a sure job, though.

Do I wish I had taken it? Sometimes.

And then I listened to the radio this morning. And heard about the action in the county courthouse yesterday and wished I had been there.

Apparently, there is a man being prosecuted. He was a pastor of a church, and he allegedly did some not so nice things with 2 14 year old girls in his congregation.

When a victim impact statement was being read, this pastor's mother decided that it was time for her heart to act up. So she fell off a bench.

Mind you, I am not making light of the fact that she "allegedly" has a heart condition, according to people close to her. However, it seemed to be a little ... oh, I don't know, staged.

She is in stable condition in the hospital, so she is doing fine.

But guess what the judge said? This is a little paraphrased but...

You will be sentenced on July 26. I won't tolerate any more delays. If anyone has a medical condition, they should NOT be in my courtroom.

And this is what I could have been witnessing yesterday.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Taoknitter said...

Have to wonder about some judges, eh? What a very interesting post.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

I have been thinking about this this morning ... and I think that the judge had just had it. It sounds like there were other things that might have led up to his reaction.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the judge I had for my divorce. I loved it when he got tired of exhole's bullshit and laid the smackdown on him on the record! WaHooo!

BTW, it really is sometimes very difficult not to jump up and start celebrating when someone so official as a judge gets fed up like that and officially tells someone to pull their head out of their ass. I honestly wanted to bust out into some sort of touchdown celebration dance. *snort*

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

More than a village
Parent Communication
Now it is time to pay the piper
I would like for you to meet my sister
Blah blah blah blah
Whatever happened to just good old fashioned getti...
I want to watch the Freakin' Lizard!
Daily Docket Doozies
Our Farmer's Market
All Hail, The Mayor of Chalktown


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button