Friday, November 17, 2006

Speedy Delivery

I sat on the bed in anxious anticipation yesterday afternoon. Will the secret be revealed? Will we find out why he left in such a hurry on Monday when the word "divorce" was mentioned? Will we ever get to the bottom of the issues that this man has?

But the questions were not resolved in that episode. I will have to wait another day to see if the answers to my burning questions are resolved. Again I will tune in today at 1:00 p.m. to see if those raw feelings will be exposed.

Not Tad from All My Children.

Not Jack from The Young and the Restless.

No. I speak of Mr. McFeely.

I didn't think that I was so engrossed in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood this week until I found myself having a 10 minute ... yes, a 10 minute ... conversation with Ace last night about the happenings in The Neighborhood this week. I was telling him about how Mr. McFeely stopped over on Monday to have Mr. Rogers play a piece of sheet music he had found. That led to a flashback of Mr. McFeely's wedding, and Mr. Rogers making a comment about how some marriages end in divorce.

Mr. McFeely's response was curt and he quickly left.

I found that I made a comment to the Monkey, who really could have cared less because she's only watching to see what's going down in the Land of Make Believe.

This isn't the first time that I have found myself having an adult conversation about Mr. Rogers. I specifically made a phone call last week to a dear friend of mine to have at least a 15 minute conversation about the characters and their whacked out names, or the semi-scary looking drag queen, Lady Elaine.

Is it that I don't have anything else to occupy my adult brain in a day filled with elementary kids and a preschooler? Possibly.

But I think the biggest thing is this: Mr. Rogers was a staple in my life. He taught me things in a kind and gentle manner. He came into my house every day for a while, and I learned cool things like How to Make Crayons.

I think that Mr. Rogers was especially endearing to me because he was a friend of my Dad's best friend. My dad's best friend and Mr. Rogers knew one another from Pennsylvania because both of them were Presbyterian ministers. Mr. Rogers reminded me a lot of Mr. Nye, and now that Mr. Nye has passed away, Mr. Rogers television program brings those happy childhood memories back for me.

I cried the day that Mr. Rogers died. I didn't want to think that I was that invested in him. I attributed it to the hormones of being pregnant with my third child. But I now know that I truly was upset that Mr. Rogers had passed away. He was the last of the true gentlemen.

Today I am happy to be able to share those memories with my children. Well, with the Monkey really because the older two are "beyond" Mr. Rogers. And they should be. But the Monkey and I will tune in every day at 1 to see what is happening in the Land of Make Believe ... because it is such a good place to be.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not watch that too much..too strange. I bet a psychologist could have a field day with that program :)
I doubt I will make it tonight..we will see...
So much to do today..hate days off like that!
Yes, GA..you would know if you watched woman!! You are so missing out on that one...
I DO have the first season you know...hint hint...
Have a great one, see you tomorrow!
You are welcome to stay for the festivities, or just come back at 3:45 for the fashion show...:)

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Mr. Rogers as a kid and I love watching it with my kids. Probably weird but true. Yes, watching how crayons are made on picture,picture...totally captivating. Also the making of graham crackers was on the other day of course had to watch that. The other one that's hilarious is when good ol' Fred goes underground to see how mushrooms are grown. He takes a horn down there to see how it will sound. He can't play the horn anyway above ground so it sounds a little extra crappy in the shroom cave. His little tour guide was smiling through the whole thing but you could tell she couldn't wait for Fred to get back to the neighborhood. Of course it's also entertaining to watch as an adult just to laugh at the fashion faux pas of the 70's. I saw him on the Tonight Show once and he said his mother hand knitted all those sweaters he slips into. Thought you'd like that bit of trivia knitting maniac!!! :o)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

And he had 25 of those sweaters! Now I look at them and marvel at the fact that they all had zippers in them! I don't know HOW to do that.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved mr. rogers growing up. watched it most everday and always learned something cool.

sad day when he died. the world lost another good man.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Rogers was okay, but I was a Captain Kangaroo kid. Then again, Mr. Greenjeans always reminded me of one of my uncles. Maybe that was the allure? Dunno.

Although I always wanted to ride the train and wished that I could shrink down small enough to do so.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Mr. Rogers too. And he did have a great way of introducing important topics.

I have to say, though, when I first started reading your post, I thought,

"What? A new Grey's Anatomy character?"

Oh boy....

11:38 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Kelly! Oh my gosh!

I really AM missing something by not watching GA, aren't I?

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember Mr. Rogers being so intense.

Dress Up Jewelry Queen

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of new kids shows that come and go but it's the classics that stand the test of time. I really miss The Electric Company!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I loved Mr. Rodgers too when I was growing up. I love being able to share that show with my kids.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I bawled my eyes out the day Mr. Rogers died. It really surprised me, too.

I still cannot watch the reruns on PBS without wishing that man were still alive. He was honest and true and you know he was someone they could never ever dig up any dirt on--he was that genuine.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

TT # 18
Please welcome my new roomie for the week!
The Vegan and the Hunter
Like my doll?
The Bottom of the Story
T Minus Nine Days And Counting
Magazines
Ticked or not?
A week without Thursday Thirteen
I SO Need This


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button