Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Vegan and the Hunter

About seven or eight years ago, my sister checked out Marilu Henner's book, The 30 Day Total Health Makeover. She read the whole thing from start to finish, thinking that a lot of the ideas could be put to great use.

At the same time, she was also reading Mad Cowboy. After reading this book, she became enraged and enlightened. She wanted to make a choice in her life.

So she quit. Quit meat. Quit dairy. Quit animal products altogether. She cut down on her sugar. She learned to make dishes with tofu and nuts and beans. She has incorporated vegetables and fruits into her life. She has made herself a happier person.

A few years ago at this same time, she and I had gotten into a little fight about turkeys. She was trying to inform me of the life of a turkey. I was trying to inform her that turkeys are stupid. That turkeys will go out in the middle of a rainstorm, turn their head up for a drink of water, and drown themselves. She informed me of the deplorable conditions of turkey farms.

She is empassioned in her life pursuit of living a vegan life.

It would all be the picturesque life of perfection if it weren't for the fact that her husband bagged his 10th buck with his bow this morning.

In her garage are 10 deer heads, two turkey skins, rifles, hunting and fishing gear, deer stands, and a fish that sings "Take Me to the River."

In her backyard is a target for practice, and a foam deer, implanted in the ground.

On the wall right before you walk into their house is a calendar with the following slogan: Top of the Food Chain.

She tries, but sometimes you just can't change everyone.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so loving your sister..your whole family for that matter. They are all so unique, none of you is like the other..
I've never seen anything quite like it. I've never felt more at home with people I hardly know.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those fishes drive me crazy. I've got one lady at work who has umpteen things that sing and she has to bring them into the office everytime she gets a new one to show it off.

I found it quite funny that you posted this today...Opening Day of rifle season in Michigan. Have I said that the kids don't have school today? Yeah, they don't. It's called "Deer Day".

10:25 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Sue, that does not surprise me at all. Gun season here in Ohio starts the day after Tgiving.

And GET this: My BIL went back to get his buck. He can't find him. He went into a still-standing corn field, and my BIL doesn't think he came out. He had to go get the farmer's permission, who even went out with my BIL to find the deer. No deer. So that farmer is going to have a FUN time when he takes that corn off.

So guess where my BIL was this morning? Yep. Back at it. My sister wasn't too pleased.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the weather gets warmer, they'll find it. Eww.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I hope you don't mind I put your link on my page. No reciprocal needed.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Maggie... I would be honored to add you to my blogroll! And thank you for your consideration!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Hen Jen said...

oh, that is so funny..and well written! Your sister and hubby sound neat both in their own way.

Jenny in Ca

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Like my doll?
The Bottom of the Story
T Minus Nine Days And Counting
Magazines
Ticked or not?
A week without Thursday Thirteen
I SO Need This
Calling the Queen Out
Nothing witty today
Pass the Torch Tuesday


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button