Monday, June 04, 2007

Share a good recipe with me

I have hit a recipe slump. Do you ever get to that point where all you can think is pasta, pork chops, or taco salad, and you wonder where the excitement of your cooking went?

Yes, Robin. I am cooking. I am making dinners. Believe it or not.

Tonight ... it was baked bow tie pasta, spaghetti sauce, and some mozz. cheese melted on top. Garlic bread. Salad.

Done. Boring. Now, I know ... it is the TIME spent at the table. But still... BORING!!!

The Queen LOVES red beans and rice. So that is dinner for tomorrow night. No problem. And I have a pizza that I will make for Wednesday night. We will be eating some leftovers throughout. I have a few casseroles that I am going to make... nothing monumental.

But blah. I don't want gourmet. I want good, easy meals. I am a good cook... yes, I am. I don't make crap.

Well .... ok ... there was that time when my sister and I took over Thanksgiving because my mother was having back problems and had had back surgery. I was responsible for the bread pudding and the spoon bread. Spoon bread ... you have to have an Act of Congress to make it come out right. It is just one of those ... things. Those things that only your Mom can do right. I think Mini Martha had set me up for immediate sabotage on that one, actually.

Hmmmm...let's give sis the spoon bread. She'll cry when it doesn't come out right and think she is a culinary failure ... but I'll feel ok because everything I make will be perfect. Yeah... that's the plan!

So I get spoon bread that burned. And I forgot to put the sugar in the bread pudding. So it was like eating wallpaper paste.

My Dad still gets a good chuckle out of that one. Just ask him...

Ok. Other than those times ... I have been pretty successful.

So.... tell me a good one. I will share some with you, but I warn you: they are BASIC. Basic, people. That's what I give, and that is what I want.

Corn Casserole

1 can creamed corn
1 can regular corn, drained
1 stick of butter ... yes... the WHOLE thing, softened
1 egg
1 box corn muffin mix
8 oz sour cream

Mix it all together, bake for an hour or so on 350, and you have a yummy side dish. My kids LOVE this stuff.

I was thinking about trying the crazy family with the 17 kids hashbrown casserole ... i need to look that one up online. ok... after posting, I found their site and this is a direct link to their recipes: http://www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html . Maybe I shouldn't call them crazy? Nah... I'll leave that in there.

So there you go. Throw some out. Robin... don't you go looking in some gourmet cookbook of yours. If it has capers or bok choy or some like ilk in it, don't post it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT? I don't talk to you for a few days and you go all gourmet on me? Who are you and what have you done with Meredith? The one who is the champion of eating out, who has sampled every restaurant in town?!
Yes I have a few.
I will take them to work with me and post them there.
Do you have the beyond macaroni and cheese cookbook? It is a great one! The recipes are pretty basic, but delicious all the same.
I must call you today to find out if you are feeling ok...

7:12 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Oh ha ha ....

I just decided that the sheer amount of money we are spending to have someone else cook my food is stupidly spent.

Call it a .... growth of maturity.

I do not have beyond mac and cheese but have so contemplated getting it. I keep hearing you say how wonderful it is. I will definitely check into that one.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a few on my blog, just click on the recipe label and they'll all come up. Not like you probably need the lasagna one, but that slush one will come in handy. Oooh, this reminds me, I have to post the summer slush recipe.

The flautas are good, as are the Italian turkey wraps (and the turkey things are super easy, basically throw it in a crock in the morning and leave it until supper time).

My family eats a lot of Mexican, and if you like that sort of thing, green enchiladas are super easy and super yummy.

The green sauce is a touch spicier than the red. If medium spicy is too hot and you prefer mild, go with red enchilada sauce.

Boil 2 lbs of boneless chicken breasts for about 30 - 45 minutes. Shred. Roll chicken (carefully) into corn tortillas. Be careful, they tear easily. There's some trick about frying them first to make them not tear, but I'm too impatient so I go carefully and tuck any torn pieces down. Place rolled enchiladas in a cake pan. Cover evenly with bottled or canned green enchilada sauce (usually one large bottle/can is plenty). Top with 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Yummy, Sue!!!! thank you!!!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Poetic Justice
The show must go on... break a leg.... and all tha...
Daily Docket Doozie
Strep Throat ... Again! It's a Conspiracy!
Dear Urgent Care Center
3:44 am
Yoda Man ... you bad girl
May the Toys Be With You ... Always
Do you have a hero?
DA** Ducks


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button