Monday, September 25, 2006

Complaining just to .... complain

One thing that my Dad has taught me is to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and move on with life. If life deals you a bad hand, move on. Learn from your experiences. Don't think twice about a mistake made. Don't complain.

Of course, this is also the man who checks his brain out of his head when he takes on tasks at his house and barns. One time, we were power-washing the inside of our barn before we moved my horse in. It was totally covered in cow dung. Totally. The rafters. The floors. The stalls. EVERYthing. Cow dung as far as the eye can see.

My Dad and I are working away. I was in high school at the time, and weekends were spent "working." My parents didn't let me get a job, and I think it was because they didn't want to give up their free, manual labor.

So I am washing my area, and my Dad is washing his. Then his power washer comes unplugged. And he is standing, in ankle deep water with the plug in one hand and the extension cord plug in the other and I screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOU MORON!!!" at him. Needless to say, I stopped him from committing some deadly feat.

Anywho. My Dad. Very positive, upbeat kind of guy. Glass half-full kind of person. And he always has some saying.

"If you're gonna dance, you have to pay the fiddler."

"Some people talk to just hear their own voices."

And this morning, I had a student who wanted to complain just to complain.

I teach an independent study course on Litigation this month. On Wednesday, as I do EVERY day I have them, I tell them what to expect on Monday. At NO point in time did I mention that we would be having a quiz. In fact, I stated that there would be no quiz on Monday.

First thing out of this student's mouth (who, mind you, was 20 minutes late to class): We aren't having a quiz today?

No.

Oh. I thought we were having a quiz. And I spent all weekend preparing for it. I wish I would have known that so I could have been doing something else, something fun, something I wanted to do.

Well.... ummmmm.... correct me if I am wrong here. You DID know you weren't having a quiz today. I told you.

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone complain about NOT taking a quiz.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elleoz said...

If it was me I would have given the class a pop quiz and let them be mad at said student. And then not count the grade. But that's just me because I am evil :)

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with elleoz, teach em' a lesson.

True, some will complain about anything.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

it's hard to please everyone, isn't it....maybe the whiners get a special quiz, all their own.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Tif Johnson said...

folks like that will always find *something* to say...you're totally right.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

Have you been over to Teacher Lady's site? She's got some doozie stories to share on the joys of teaching that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do hate those complaining kids. We have students who "insist" that its a law that we can't give them homework on a Friday. Go Figure!

We have also given those pop quizzes that we don't count, just because someone messes it up for the rest.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Do you correct it or not?
Bellezza made me do it
Y'all have a good weekend, hear?
My renter's stats
TT # 11
Going postal
Another Angel In Heaven
Pass the Torch Tuesday
Cleaning out the stuff
The Amazing Race 10 - A Review


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button