Friday, September 08, 2006

My morning cup of guilt

Today is the day. The day that the Door Man enters the halls of public education. The day that the Door Man spreads his wings, and establishes a tiny bit more independence. The day that brings the neurotic phone call from the Mominator.

Ring. Look at caller id. Ok ... I know I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet, but I am willing to brave the conversation sans caffeine.

Hello.

So.... is he ready?

Yep. He is all dressed and ready to go.

Is he excited?

Yes, he is. He asked to get dressed at 8:15, and he doesn't leave here until after lunch.

Oh. What time are you taking him? What time does school start?

Well, he asked to ride the bus this morning. Since it is only Kindergartners, I think I am going to let him (word to the wise ... never show your hand in cards). I will follow behind him in the van, and make sure he knows where to line up, and see the bench where Sissy (Queen) will meet him to get on the bus to come home.

Pause. The pause of guilt.

Oh. He's riding the bus BOTH ways? Isn't that a LOT for the first day of school? Didn't you drive Queen to school on her first day?

Yes, I did drive Queen to her first day of school because I succumbed to pressure.

Silence.

Drawing in her breath: Well, it IS a big day.

Yes. It IS a big day. I remember feeling abandoned by you because you were student teaching, and you just dropped me off at school, and when it came around to rest time, I laid my head down on the table and started crying.

Major bout of silence.

Are you still there?

Well, of COURSE I am still here. I was just thinking that that is a lot of bus for him for his first day.

Well you know what? Let's just hold him back a year and let him go next year. And while we're at it, why don't we look for a replacement for me, because I obviously don't have any common sense. Because apparently YOU think that I am going to majorly scar my child for life by putting him on the bus to AND from school. So ... just call CS. I am sure they will find an appropriate house for him somewhere.

Now! You are being totally unreasonable.

Am I? You call. You hear what I have planned. You start making your comments. You start laying on the guilt. Really. Am I the one being unreasonable here?

I just don't want him to get lost.

WHERE will he get lost? I really don't see him jumping up every time the bus stops to pick up another Kindergartner and trying to run off the bus. I am going to MEET him there. I am going to show him where to line up. The only difference is, he will be on the bus, which is where he ASKED to be.

Ok. You know best.

ALWAYS there to get the last jab in.

Mini Martha would have told me to roll over and tell her I would consider her comments.

I should have had that caffeine.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust your instincts, Meredith! If he wanted to ride the bus both ways, let him. You know how he is about routines. Start him on the bus the first day, so he expects that every day.
I find I live better when I don't interfere with your discussions with your mother - but you do know best here! Go with your initial plans, and don't worry about what she thinks about it.
She'll just go on, and find something else to voice her opinion on...

You go, big Kindergarten boy! We're so proud of you!!!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

See. Ace DOES exist, ladies and gents. Can you believe he actually left a comment?!

Thanks "hubs". And nice name.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Good for you, Meredith. I'm sorry your mom has to be a PITA on such a big day.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

I say if he wanted to ride, then letting him ride was the best thing to do.

I hate those days were I know I should of had that caffiene, but didn't. Usually they come back to haunt me.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, do what the boy wants. The goal of raising children is to help them become independent, productive citizens. Inisisting on holding their hands when they clearly are ready to at least exercise their wings isn't doing them any favors.

And really, I would not have answered the phone if I expected to get ambushed like that. (Then again, she probably would have showed up at your doorstep, eh?)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Guess what? He made it in ONE piece! He was SOOOO excited to see that bus, was all smiles when he got on it, and was excited to see me when he got to school.

It was a good ride there. Now let's just hope his sister remembers to get him before she gets on the bus herself to come home.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Your mom really sounds like MY Mom. And I'm wondering how it is I survived all those years before caller ID?

It seems to me you know what's best for your kid.

And your Ace seems like a mighty fine hubs;) The day my hubby leaves a comment on my blog, I will certainly faint.

Kelly

4:47 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

You inspire me, gotta remember to stick to my guns!

5:12 PM  
Blogger MommaMonkey said...

Since he asked, I don't see the problem like your mom does. Besides, I'm sure that is just one tiny challenge in his days of new and exciting challenges at school! It is prbably not a big deal at all to him!

12:39 PM  
Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

Oh Gawd.... someday if you dun't watch ya self that will be you. Remember that.
It happens to all of us.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

The writing is on the wall
TT # 9
And the answer to the question was....
Oh .... the sexual depravity
More than just a Happy Meal
On the cusp
The Crocodile Hunter
A heavy heart
Apparently $ 10K can buy a lot of fireworks
Perfect Post Awards - August


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button