Wednesday, October 18, 2006

TT # 15


When I was a little girl, I loved horses. My favorite book of all times was Misty of Chincoteague. I loved to draw pictures of horses. I started riding when I was about nine years old, and I BEGGED my parents for a horse daily.
My Mom decided it was time to test the waters, so we leased a horse for a month. Her name was Puffy. She was a pretty good horse, but man was she spunky. Then my Mom found out that a student of hers was selling her horse. It didn't take my Mom long to decide that J.R. was the horse for me. J.R. was my show horse and my companion, so I thought it would be fun to dedicate a TT to him.

Thirteen Things I Loved About J.R.

1. He was a good listener. Never once did he talk back to me.

2. He loved to drink beer and pop. I never had any beer to give him personally, but he was known to drink out of my pop bottle at horse shows.

3. He never let me down. I always knew what kind of mood J.R. was in and I didn't have to walk on egg shells around him.

4. He was always happy to see me. Sure, he knew that seeing me meant he was getting food in the mornings, but there was nothing quite like walking out on a really brisk morning, and walking into that barn and hearing him knickering at me. It was the most precious sound in the world.

5. He had the most amazingly soft nose, and I loved to kiss it constantly. There was one spot right above his nostril that I kissed all the time. I would just stand there and rub my lips on it.

6. He had the deepest brown eyes. I could look into those eyes and tell that he was listening to me.

7. He loved it when I would blow into his nose. He would just stand completely still, and then start leaning into me as if hypnotized.

8. No matter how many times I would kick him with a spur in a horse show class, he forgave me. Every. Single. Time.

9. He had this knack of pooping in the trailer as soon as we loaded him up for a horse show. It didn't matter if he had pooped in his stall two seconds before-hand. He always had something left in him to squeeze out.

10. He brought my Dad and I closer together during a time when most fathers and daughters drift away from one another. Dad and I would load up on Saturdays and go off to the shows. Dad LOVED to watch me show, and he would stand on the rail and encourage me all the time. He was also known to say a cross word or two to J.R.

11. I loved his name... J.R. He was named that for being the smallest horse in the barn. But he didn't stay that way.

12. I loved his height. He was 16.1 hands, and that was pretty big for a Quarter Horse. And he was just big. I just loved him, and so did the judges. He would capture the attention of many.

13. He would take off on our German exchange student and run out into a field of newly-sprouted winter wheat and just start grabbing at it and eating it. Our exchange student didn't share the same love that I did.







Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great list! I was never really "into" horses, but you make it sound so wonderful! I'm sure it was a lot of hard work, too.

Happy Thursday!

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Animals are awesome companions. Thanks for sharing that.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

I bet he WAS a lot of work, but sounds like you've learned a LOT from him, too!

I've posted 13 Scenes from My Chaotic Life, today. Enjoy! ;)

7:16 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

i love that Misty book too! I always loved to be around the horses on my grandmom's farm. i liked it when they let me pet their noses and would breathe on me. :)

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a horse girl too and loved the "Misty" books. Great TT!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Christie O. said...

what a great list! i love love love my litle animals for a lot of those reasons...except the poop but no matter what pet u have, u never can seem to escape it! haha

9:03 AM  
Blogger Caylynn said...

He sounds like a great horse. :) I'm *so* jealous! I rode horses from the age of 12 until 21, and I started riding again last year (age 33), but I never owned my own horse.

I loved Misty of Chincotague too - in fact, I loved all of Maguerite Henry's books!

Happy TT. :)

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a kid/Teenager we had some Quarter Horses too. Mine was Candy. I'm sad my daughter isn't going to experience that kind of pride.

maggie

http://maggie.coffeeshopmafia.com

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have had a horsie girl..
love that Mary let you do that! See, she really is the coolest!
Happy Thursday!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. I'm not into horses, but Mom sure is. She's got a couple minis at her place. I love listening to them knicker whenever I drive up.

She's also got a gorgeous Icelandic. Now Julli is da bomb!

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been a little afraid of horses but they are beautiful animals . . . so powerful!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Elleoz said...

You sound so much like me. I started riding when I was 8 and got my own horse when I was 13. My mother still has her.

Oh the memories! Thanks for reminding me what I loved so much!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Kristi Tencarre said...

That is such a great list! Brings back memories of my horse & barn & show days. You sound a lot like my sis ~ she was passionate about horses.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Kristi Tencarre said...

That is such a great list! Brings back memories of my horse & barn & show days. You sound a lot like my sis ~ she was passionate about horses.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I've never even sat on a horse, but I've always wanted to! That was a great T13!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

WW # 2 - Pedicure, Preschool Style
Two ducks
Sneaking that one in
Childhood fears
Poof.... and it's gone, and a ball of yarn
Jacque Blue
The wheels on the bus
TT # 14
Wordless Wednesday # 1 - Water, Hillbilly Style
Popularity and Daily Affirmations


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button