Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Good idea or bad?

The Mominator is a retired English teacher and librarian. She has been working part-time jobs since her retirement (she didn't work long enough for her retirement to have vested, hence her "need" to still work), and has been looking for other teaching positions along the way.

She found one. In Arizona.

I am sure that you have figured out by now that we live in Ohio.

Ohio. To Arizona. By herself. For six months. Driving there. Living alone. 66 years old.

To me, this screams "BAD IDEA!"

To her, it screams "I can't make up my mind too quickly ... I know they need me at the beginning of the month next month but I still don't know what I want to do."

She doesn't have a high level of confidence. As much as she states her opinions when she should keep them to herself, that is as far as it goes because it is with her family. Well, ok... and her friends. Ok ... and some others. But other than that, she has some trouble with doing things on her own.

If she was 10 years younger, I would say go for it. But I see my parents' health starting to fade ever so slightly. My Dad has a tremor in his left hand that the Mominator says is from an old neck injury. I think that is her way of sugar coating the real reason for the tremor.

Their driving isn't the best. In fact, it makes me downright nervous. Not that they are the types who should have their licenses taken away from them, but they do point and gun it a lot.

And Mini Martha and I are finding ourselves being placed in the position of the parents and they the children. It scares both of us that she is going to go out to a place, sight unseen, and try to make it her home for five months. We have this feeling that her continued silence on the issue means that she will go. I just don't want her to get into a situation that is beyond her control and not be able to get out of it. Doomsday attitude? Maybe. But in this day and age, and the area where she is looking at teaching, I am extremely leery of this whole setup.

So ... what do you think? Good idea or bad?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without knowing what kind of environment she'll be teaching in, the idea itself wouldn't bother me. The driving there would, and I'd do my best to suggest either she fly or something. Do you or your sister feel up to the task of driving her there and then flying back?

If she's going to be teaching in a school or part of town with a questionable reputation, I'd suggest a visit first.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree I know that's an expensive trip but to be out there for that amount of time not knowing the exact circumstances you're going in to. Is there a friend or confidant that can give the real scoop on the situation?

2:43 PM  
Blogger Janean said...

If Dad were going with...I'd say yah. They've made it this far in this world together.
BUT if she's going on her own...Ummm, yah. Bad idea. What if the school district sets her up in some garbage apartment or she doesn't like the environment? Can't she get a local job?
If it's a matter of desperation and she feels she needs the money that badly, she will probably choose to go regardless.
God bless! Tough situation!

1:03 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Is she trying to get to warmer climate? Is that why she wants to move. There has to be jobs available in your area, it seems the whole country has a shortage of teachers.

I agree with janean, if dad's going too, ok, but she shouldn't go alone. Arizona is filled with older people (I live here), somehow they make it. What district is she looking at?

7:30 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Mamacita Tina ... she is looking outside of Flagstaff at a Native American school (I don't know which one, though). They sent her a picture of the school, and there is barbed wire around the "compound" (their word for the school, not mine). They will put her up in a house in the "teacher ghetto" (another one of their terms).

I guess my whole issue is the safety of the situation. Dad will go out for one week at the beginning, and then one week a month. By himself. Driving. So that means she will be out there with their dog three weeks of the month by herself. And that dog... he is a wimp. He is no attack dog. If she was going out with a Rottwiler or a protective German Shepherd, then it would be ok. But their dog... a Welsh Corgi ... yeah. Not an attack dog there.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

She really wants to do that? Sounds really lonely. Is she ready for cultural differences. I had a Native American student, and their family did things like never come to school on Fridays. Just how they were. If she's looking for an adventure, this will definitely be one. Barbed wire around the school? Gotta wonder about that.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

I wish I knew how to quit you
Alternate spellings
A sign of great things to come?
Admiral Adama ... yougotanylipgloss?
Baby dolls forgotten
The little girl who loves lip gloss
Lest you think I lie about my choir director not l...
TT # 21
This ominous feeling
Old Friends


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button