Friday, January 12, 2007

The saga of the thick thighs

When my sister was growing up, I remember her bemoaning her genes. She would continually complain that her thighs were "too big." She would even refrain from attempting any sport-related extracurricular activities because of how the uniform would make her appear "fat." My mother would constantly tell her that she should stop focusing on her physical attributes, and focus on her potential of becoming the next Chris Evret. You see, my sister was a very good tennis player.

But she didn't like the way the tennis skirt made her legs "look fat."

I am sure that the fact that my father would sing "King of the Road" to her ... Trailers for sale or rent ... when she was growing up didn't help matters, either.

My sister doesn't have any height on her. She is about 5'3" on a good day, and, well, she just doesn't have the height to pull those legs up. You can well imagine the jealousy that ran rampant when I started to stretch out to 5'8". She was never able to live that down all through my high school years (even though she was a mother of one at that point).

Who would have guessed that the saga of the thick thighs would live on in one of my children? I certainly did not.

The Queen is at that stage in her pre-pubescence ... thickening of the waist, thickening of other areas, and her legs are no exception.

And we have already started hearing it: I don't want to wear that .... my legs look fat. Look at how big my legs are. Look at them!

I have been trying to get her to stop focusing on the appearance of things ... ALL things. Last night, she was coming out of Upward basketball practice at another church. She exclaimed: I LOVE this church because it is bigger than ours. I told her that outward appearances should never be used to determine whether we like, let alone, love something. We need to find out what the thing is like on the inside before we make such determinations.

That flew over like a lead balloon.

I am such an effective parent.

*************************************************************************************
ROFL button

And a HUGE thank you to Local Girl from An Island Life for nominating me for a December ROFL Award! My very first, and I couldn't be more honored! Thank you!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, suffer from that. I couldn't be a member of the Swedish bikini team, but I could easily be a member of the Swedish body-building team. Or an East German prison guard.

I feel for your daughter, I really do. Eventually she'll realize it's muscle, not fat and there isn't a darn thing she can do about it to make it go away.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

You're so deserving of the ROFL award!! I've ROFLed often when I check in here from Bloglines.

Keep up the hilarity!!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so hard to focus on what's inside. I feel like kids these days have such a disadvantage because of everything around them that is appearance driven.

keep up the encouragment, you're doing a great job.

BTW - you constantly make me giggle, keep it up!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so don't envy you bringing up girls and all that goes with it. She seems so young to be saying that :o(

3:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like to think of my thighs as "womanly" instead of fat. But it's taken me a few years to get there. :)

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

TT # 25
What a nerd!
The sky is falling!
Another one of my promises to myself
Some more gems
Freak you up
Ok.... I see clearly now
So ... who is Baby Jesus?
Par-Tay!
The bread goes directly to your lips


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button