Thursday, January 04, 2007

The bread goes directly to your lips




Ok. I have given this little morsel of inlaw fodder a few days to steep. I did not want to automatically run to the computer and post this story because ... well ... I just didn't think it would be prudent. Ok. Want is not the appropriate verb here. Crap, I don't know what I am trying to say so I better say it.

Sunday, we went to Bob Evans for lunch with the inlaws. I was at one end of the table with the Man and the Monkey, and my MIL. Ace was down by his Dad and Queen.

Whenever we order ANYthing at Bob's, the rolls and biscuits are split up and shared.

I order the Chicken and Noodles, and it came with two dinner rolls. I knew that I would be sharing with the Man and the Monkey. Biscuits were delivered to the other end of the table. I think they were my MIL's, but my FIL received them for some unknown reason. As soon as Queen saw the biscuits, she immediately asked him if she could have some.

He said no.

Yes. You read that right. He said no. But wait ... it gets MUCH better.

The Monkey sees my rolls, and I was about ready to start buttering it. Ace then asks me if I could pass the TWO dinner rolls that were in my basket.

I thought "hey ... if the selfishness worked for my FIL, it will work for me, right?"

Wrong. Dead wrong.

No you may not have them. They are mine, I replied.

Ace got a little salty. Ok. More than a little. A LOT salty.

Fine. Never mind. I just thought that we could ask for more rolls. Never mind.

All this time, the Monkey is dipping her hand in my salad, pulling out her selection of lettuce and croutons. So I was a little mad that it was assumed that I would be the one who would share my bread with everyone.

Ok. More than a little mad ... a lot mad.

I looked at him and told him that I had people at my end of the table who wanted part of a roll, and that I also had one of them dipping their hand in my salad at that very moment.

So my MIL decided to take things into her own hands and offer her solution to Dinner Roll Smackdown 2006, the very last one of the year.

Her solution?

Passing MY basket of rolls down the table to her son, she stated matter-of-factly "we will BUY more rolls. Just have some."

Oh yes she did. Yes. She did.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! The dinner roll smackdown! YOUR MIL has balls friend, balls!
Since when are you concerned with prudence? :)

6:48 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

LOL Robin .... ummm.. never. I guess I wanted to appear to care. ;)

Hey ... good LUCK today! Isn't this the Open House across the street? Or is that next weekend?

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

COME ON OVER!!! I'll wave to you out the window. It isn't even ready yet, so we will be having our real open house in about a month. We are just trying to convince our patients that they want to come with us now.
so dumb I tell you. We are having it in the shell of a building with no heat.
Dressing warm today!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Well it will be nice out today, so that should be no problem. But man... Nothing like showing the bare bones of the operation.

I will be sure to have something exciting going on at least every 30 minutes at my house.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mer-come to lunch with us

8:44 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Well hello there, anon. Is that you Julie?

I would have to have my kid in tow.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

When it comes to bread, forget about it, I don't share! Crack me up!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dinner roll smackdown 2006...now that is funny! You should never hold things like this in for long, you should run right to your computer and jot it all down. Prudence, schmudence. LOL!

Every time I hear stuff like this I remember how thankful I am for my pseudo-inlaws.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Elleoz said...

Aren't In-laws just g reat sometimes!

I too am a little surprised that you didn't point out that dear ol' FIL had biscuits at the other end of the table.

Did your MIL end up buying more rolls at least?

11:21 AM  
Blogger Sunflower said...

Where chaos meets love, family comes first! I like your title!

Thanks for letting my Sunflower blog stay here for one week!

Welcome to my Sunflower blog anytime.


I will Exercise for Comments!
Sunflower

6:54 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Whoa. Sounds like something my MIL would do. I feel for you, I really do.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I think I would have smacked her hand! Who is she to take someone else's food? And Ace would have gotten an earful when we got home! I can't believe your MIL!

4:26 AM  
Blogger tiggerprr said...

Smacked her hand!? She's lucky she didn't get a fork to the back of her hand! LOL

8:56 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Inlaws make me insane.

INSANE.

Argh.

Don't mess with the rolls, there, MIL lady. Otherwise, next time, you get sweetbreads.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

The new roomie
TT # 24
Separated at Birth
Starring ... the Lip Gloss Girl
In sleep he sang to me...
Scooter's list
Do you make them?
Happy One!
Winding down the weekend/ramblings
Do you know me?


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button