Friday, March 30, 2007

The grass isn't always greener

I have to discuss an interview I went on yesterday.

I work from home. I have worked from home for the same company since July 1999. I am coming up on year nine with this company, and I have ridden through many a storm with them (reorgs, managers leaving and going other places, other managers being promoted to higher positions, moving to another team in order to ensure longevity, etc., etc.).

I have been known to complain about this job. I have been known to gritch about having to work on the weekend. I have been known to utter a word or two about quota requirements.

What I haven't done is fully take stock in what I DO have in this position.

Until yesterday.

This is where I get a little religious ... so bear with me.

We were told last year that there was a possibility that our jobs were going to be outsourced to overseas vendors. They were actually looking at overseas attorneys to see if they could do the work that we do (we read, summarize, and pull out points of law from cases (mine are federal) ... really it is pretty rote now, but it still is legal work). It was really questionable whether they would be able to pull it off.

And they couldn't. We were just informed recently that it is no longer a go, but that didn't mean that they wouldn't keep looking for other overseas vendors. Fine. That is the name of the game in business. Always looking at the bottom line, and I can fully appreciate that.

I applied for a position at a company here in our hometown. They are growing exponentially. I won't say too much about what they do because I don't want to be unfair to the company.

I applied last year when the project was announced. Or somewhere close to the announcement because I had a feeling something was going on. And I waited. A LONG time. I was getting more and more nervous as time progressed that I was never going to be offered the opportunity to show this company my wonderful qualities.

Then I received a phone interview at the end of September. And I was told that I was eligible for the next step.

And I waited. A long time.

I finally received word last week that I was offered a face to face interview. This was about two weeks after we had received the final word on the outsourcing project.

I was conflicted. I really was. I didn't really talk about the interview much with anyone but Ace and my sister and mother. I didn't even tell my friends until this week that I was interviewing. I was conflicted because I no longer "needed" the job. The impetus was no longer there.

But, I had applied, I said I would interview, so I was going to carry through with my commitment, because my parents taught me that when you start something, you finish it. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

So I prayed a lot about it, and I came to the realization that God was placing me in this position for one of two reasons: (1) to open a new door for me or (2) to show me that what I have is really where I need to be.

And yesterday afternoon, it was apparent that it was # 2.

The company has no structure. It is flat. There are a LOT of younger people walking around, ones who I assume are mostly part-time. I had no idea whether I was interviewing for part or full time, and when they asked me what I preferred, I told them that I needed full time because I needed benefits and I needed income stability.

And then they asked me later if I would "accept" part time. Well, what did I just say to you? Are you listening to me?

The employees were walking around in flip flops, jeans, and sweatshirts. And they think that is cool.

Yeah. I guess that is cool. But I walk around my place of work in my pajamas and not showered. I have my coffee brought to me on a daily basis. I can crawl into my bed after turning off my computer in 3 seconds. I don't have to get in a car to go anywhere. I can go to my daughter's Easter egg hunt at her preschool. I can fix lunch for my son and see him off on his bus. I can see my kids get off their bus every day. If someone is sick, I can stay home and still work.

See where I am going with this.

Lesson learned, God. Thanks for letting me figure this one out.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) you just know when it's right, right?
sometimes we need help seeing the light, that's all!
I so had to post the barbie thing..the funniest thing I've ever seen.
you=serious
me=cracking up like an idiot all morning!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Taoknitter said...

Nice when it get's put into perspective, eh? The way you do it now sounds fantastic.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Robin, wasn't that hilarious? I sent it to Ace last night. He FULLY appreciated Fostoria Barbie.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

There is so much to that - good luck in your decisions here.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pman and I are at a stage where we are trying to decide if we stay here, in my hometown, or venture west to be closer to, well, civilization and better weather.

I'm glad your sign was so clear, ours...not so much.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Maybe it will snow in MI ... and that will be your sign. Just wait for next week's weather. I think we are supposed to be in the 30s again, so you have to be colder than that.

That would be enough sign for me, Sue!!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EGGcellent. (just an easter funny).

It is great you realized the positives of being where you are. And hopefully you will be able to continue doing that until you are ready for a change. It's nice sometimes to be shown how lucky you are. Especially when you aren't shown to harshly.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Get your own dam* blog!
TT # 33
Another Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday
Cisco the horse
P.U.!!!!
Holy FRAK!
So in love
Friday's Feast # 7
TT # 32


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button