Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Volunteering

I am very active in my church. I am in choir, I sing on a special vocal group once or twice a month, and as of now, I am the main director of the KinderChoir (God grant me the strength).

I also have a full time job and a part time job. I have three kids.

So when we get these directives from troop leaders (there is only one person I am speaking of right now as the Queen is the only person actively involved in any troops) to help out more, to do this or do that, I get a little pi**ed off.

Ok. I get a LOT pi**ed off.

Brownie Day Camp is coming up at a local park. $ 20 for them to take my kid off my hands for 2 days in a row from 9 to 3. Nirvana. I was going to sign the Monkey up for Safety Town during that session, but won't be able to pull that one off since I have to be at an orientation the first day of the Monkey's programming. So I will be sending the Queen off.

Then we get an email from this troop leader. Now ... don't mind the fact that I personally cannot stand this woman, that I can't stand either one of her bratty daughters (and I NEVER call kids brats unless they are totally deserving of the title ... they are products of their mother's obnoxiouness ... ok. That makes me feel better). She has been a good leader in the fact that she is consistent. She holds consistent meetings, but she also has help from two other mothers and the occasional help from some other moms who have volunteered in the past (me included).

The email is detailing the issues of Brownie Day Camp. The leaders have asked that 2 adults for every troop needs to be in attendance. So this troop leader suggests that people take a day off of work to help.

Ok. A day off of work for me calls for me getting a babysitter all day for my kids. I just don't do that. Should I? It won't hurt them. But you know what ... there are people in that troop who CAN'T take time off of work to attend a Brownie Day Camp. Am I one of them? I consider myself so, yes.

But then I am viewed as the person who never volunteers. The person who just uses the system for my DD to be a part of it, but never giving back to it because nobody is ever there to look at my other volunteering opportunties to see that I am taxed to the max.

There are moms there who have never done a thing. They drop off and pick up only. You never hear them volunteer. Target them. Go for our county auditor ... she hasn't done jack sh**.

Can you tell I'm a little bitter about this?

I want the Queen to be a part of this group because she loves it. She has a good time. But there are times when parents just need to be LEFT alone and not brow-beaten into submission to volunteer. Some of us just simply can't do it anymore.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know how grateful I was that the boys never even finished up a year in Cub Scouts? I volunteered to help with meetings and what a PITA it was. I work easy hours, so I thought what the hell...big mistake. Never again.

Don't feel guilty, do what you can, but don't knock yourself out when no one else helps out.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I agree with you mer. Events for children to be in is to get the children away from home and parents... to let them develop a little independence without mom and dad learking over their sholder. You like many other mothers are a very busy woman, and you volunteer your time when it is best for you and your family...Not when it is more convenant for some other mother who will most likely raise a brow anyway.. to anybody.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

No wonder the roads are all messed up
Good morning, Starshine! The earth says hello!
They say its his birthday
and another thing...
Fog Throws a Cog in the Works
Guess what I missed last night?
Something has to give
Don't you take that tone with me!
Our Daily Dose of Inspiration
Daily Docket Doozie


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button