Thursday, June 21, 2007

Condescending phone calls

Yesterday I was getting the kids around to make a trip to the library. They were all ready to go when the phone rang. It came in as "private caller." Normally, this was how my caller id registered my Dad's cell phone, so I answered it.

"Hello. Is the Mominator there?"

"No she isn't. May I take a message?"

"Yes. This is John. I will leave my phone number. Do you have a pen?"

That grates on my LAST nerve. Do I have a pen? I don't know. Do you? If so, could I borrow it? What if it is a pencil? Is that not good enough for you, you pencil bigot!?

"Why yes ... yes I do. Do I need it for something?"

"Well, I was going to give you my phone number."

"Really ...I'm a married woman."

"Ummmm no. No. I was going to give you my phone number so SHE can call me."

"Well, she's married, too. I'm gonna tell my Dad on you!"

"No.... no. SHE called ME!"

"Oh. I see. Probably from HER house, right? This isn't HER house. Did you know that? Are you getting that idea by now?"

"Oh. This isn't where she lives? We have this number registered."

"Registered? For what?"

"On this account."

"Oh really? Well, did you know you are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act? I am not on any account of hers."

"Well ...she called me!"

"Ok. I'll let this one slide. I will give her the message that you called."

"Well, can you give it to her today?"

"Really John .... after this whole conversation, do you think you could treat me like I am her 37-year-old child, and not her 12-year-old child?"

Click.

I called the Mominator to let her know that John was calling her (she had called him after all ... to let them know her payment was going to be a few days late) and I told her to be prepared.

She called me back about five minutes later to let me know she talked to John, and that John seemed pretty whipped.

Score one for the 12-year-old.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! You rock! Do you know how often I dream of burning telemarketers? You are a goddess! *bowing in your greatness*

7:40 AM  
Blogger Taoknitter said...

I LOVE you! You are so quick on your feet! Do you give lessons? Score!!!!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

I wish I could get paid for that, Ann!!!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this client that calls me "kiddo"
I find it very offensive. I realized I'm much younger than he is, he's probably old enough to be my grandfather.

However, what if I was much older and just had a young sounding voice.
stupid guy!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

And now... i can talk about it
Lip smackin' good
My newest creation
Lucky # 13
Happy Father's Day
Friends are friends forever...
Dogs
Another Natalie Dee goodie
Not at all prepared today
Summer Vacation Checklist


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button