Friday, June 22, 2007

Reward systems

Clean your room, and I'll get you a pony.

Go to the bathroom now, and we'll get ice cream after we go to the store.

Do your homework, and I'll buy you a new coat.

Sound familiar?

Bring a friend to Backyard Bible Club, and we will give you TWO tickets.

Ok. Maybe not that one.

But that is what we have been faced with this week.

Every other year, our Director decides that we are going to have these "outreach" BYBC. This is when 8-10 church member families open their homes for about an hour and a half and two people come in to "witness" to these kids.

Our BYBC is WAY over my kids' heads.

But one thing they DO understand: the fun festival held on Saturday where the kids will be able to "spend" their tickets on bounce houses and water balloons and face painting.

They receive one ticket for showing up, and one ticket for saying their Bible verse. That is all fine and dandy.

But they receive TWO tickets if they bring friends.

I have a problem with this.

Why two? Why not one?

So when the Queen asked if she could bring Chicken Nugget girl, I let it slide. Then she asked again the following day. I let it slide. She asked again yesterday, and I asked her to look deep in her heart to see WHY she wanted to invite Chicken Nugget girl.

She honestly said "well, because I get two tickets for bringing her."

Really. Do we WANT to teach our kids that there is a monetary reward system for the eternal salvation of some child's soul? Bring your friends, save them from Satan, and you'll get two more chances in the bounce house.

I don't mind asking someone to Sunday school. I don't mind asking someone to church. I DO mind "paying" a kid for something that they should want to do out of the goodness of their heart.

Aren't we just teaching our kids that they should look for their own financial gain when they "help" someone out?

or maybe I am being a bitty of a mother. But I will purchase these tickets to give my kids more time in the bounce house, thanks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Taoknitter said...

Can't say I do not do this at times...and it grates every time. But when it is for something good, I do it. As for cleaning the rooms, I have discovered that they are much more compliant when I explain the vagaries of pissing me off...much more effective for me.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not all that much different than school fundraisers. Sell X amount and get a prize, be the top seller and get a pizza party or a ride in a limo.

I'm sorry, that is just whorin' out my kids. I'd rather the schools just begged for cans or something (10 cent deposit per can/bottle in Michigan). Pman hates returning them, so I'll gladly send a few cases of MGD cans to school. LOL!

But yeah, I know where you are going with this and I wouldn't bring Chicken Nugget Girl on a bet.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rock it out BYBC..
what a rip of a bible school if you ask me!
LOL
so good to see you girlie..
can't wait!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Condescending phone calls
And now... i can talk about it
Lip smackin' good
My newest creation
Lucky # 13
Happy Father's Day
Friends are friends forever...
Dogs
Another Natalie Dee goodie
Not at all prepared today


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button