Friday, August 03, 2007

Sell a Cow, Make a Friend

On our trips, we love to look at signs. It is really the only thing to pass the time along when you are making a longer trip with antsy kids in the car.

Oh and when I say "we" love to look at them, I mean Ace and I. The kids have to find their own entertainment. However, if they are awake, and there is a funny one, we will point it out to them.

Some of the signs and sights go over their heads, though.

Like the sign on the side of the road on I65: Used Cows For Sale.

Ace and I just got the biggest kick out of this. This elicited the standard comment: only in Kentucky.

We made the mistake of saying something to the FIL, who then took all the air out of the humor balloon. "Well, that saahhn has bin there for a whyle now." I guess when farmers have "used" their cows, they have to mark them used. Meaning: if they are a dairy cow and have reached a certain age, they call them "used."

Far be it from me to argue with a farmer. So that sign wasn't as funny anymore.

Of course, being in the start of the Bible belt down there, there are the smatterings of the Biblical billboards. One states Thou Shalt Not Kill. On the interstate. Well, I will certainly remember that one as my vessel of metal and plastic hurls itself along down these hilly roads with all these semi trucks that don't pay one bit of attention to the drivers around them until they blast their horn for 30 seconds and flip the trucker off on the way by (that wasn't me.... well, not the flipping off part).

One of my favorite Bible boards is on the way to the inlaws place ... outside of Glasgow, KY. It's that one ... you know .... submit to your husband, and all that crap. Don't get me wrong... if you are a regular reader, you know I go to church. I just don't subscribe to that philosophy.

On the flip side of that board is this one: Spare the rod and spoil the child.

So ... don't kill anyone, wives submit to your husbands, and it's ok to spank that little brat. Good deal.

A little used car dealership on the same road has some good lookin' vehicles on their lot, and their motto is "Buy a car, make a friend" and I am most sure that the small print on that signs reads "with the mechanic."

I saved the best for last ...


Come on ... say it with me now ... Only in Kentucky.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey do you think there is room for us to set up some scrapbook tables here? It could totally be our next outing!
AHHHH!
I would have LOVED to seen this! It reminds me of the scene in Tommy Boy where they get in a fight next to the prehistoric dinosaur park, or the scene in vacation when they sleep in the cabins. HA!
Hey, don't worry, she is still alive..yet another exciting day in the world of dialysis!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

I will let the Queen know, who was extremely worried for the patient. She was GLUED to the window...

Either that or it was morbid curiosity.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, is that where Oprah and Gail stayed on their road trip? I remember seeing bits of that episode (I watch very little Oprah), but I don't remember what state they were in at the time.

And yes...only in Kentucky. Been there, done that, seen that, scared of that. LOL!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Taoknitter said...

Great post...thanks for the laugh. When my sister and I drove from California to Memphis in 1985, we passed a teepee place like that. It was old then and I think it might still be there, in the middle of nowhere, in the desert. Such a sight.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Dead Fish
The Queen Who Ate the Fair
Conquering My Fear, One Treacherous Step at a Time
The Man and the Urinal
Back... all in one piece
Apparently I have sufficiently p'ed off my husband
T Minus One Day
I'll make you an offer you can't refuse
Watch out ... inflated ego ahead
That time of year ...


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button