Tuesday, September 04, 2007

To My Little Man

Seven years ago tomorrow, I checked into the hospital early in the morning to be induced. At 5:35 pm, you came into this world after having literally slid out of me. You, little man, by far, were the easiest birth.

We have had our ups and downs with you, health-wise. When the peditrician said "it could be cataracts or it could be neuroblastoma," I didn't know where to turn. I fell to my knees and I prayed like I had never prayed before. I could handle cataracts. I couldn't handle neuroblastoma.

Not that cataracts was a wonderful diagnosis, but I could handle it. I could handle knowing that you needed surgeries to correct the problems. I could handle putting contacts in your tiny little eyes, spending countless hours on my hands and knees, scouring the floors for lost lenses. And there were many.

We then had to address the appearance of seizures. I couldn't believe that you had to deal with that after having had to deal with the eye issues. When a diagnosis of epilepsy was returned, and when we decided to not medicate you, we trusted that God would handle everything. And He did. You didn't need medication, and if we had medicated you, we would have thought it was the medication that had "cured" the seizures and not just you having grown out of them.

You have been a complete joy. You have the ability to make someone smile with your grin. You love to build with Legos. You love to make things out of ordinary items .... give you a box, and you have a play thing for at least a month. And paper .... boy. I have never seen someone love paper so much.

You love your months, you love your days, you love to learn. You love going to school. You love art. You love social studies. You are a sponge, little man.

Life would be boring without you. We need to have laughter in this house, and you provide that for us. You have the ability to crack us up at a moment's notice. You make us think of a good answer when you ask "do we breathe in heaven?"

You are convicted in your beliefs. I am proud of the son I am raising. I am proud of the little man who has emerged, and I look forward to meeting the young man who will replace that little boy.

But for right now ... this moment ... I will hold on to that little boy for just a little while longer. For as long as you will let me.

Happy Seventh Birthday, Little Man

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww. Give the Man a birthday hug from me. Gosh. Time sure flies, doesn't it?

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you door man, love you!
What a sweet, sweet commentary about your little man!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok you have me getting all choked up! I'm thinkimg of my little men too. Happy B-day door man!!!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Taoknitter said...

Making me cry...please give each other hugs from someone you've never met but who thinks you are both fantastic! XOXOXO!!!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Will do, Ann.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Shhhh.... what's that I hear?
Clean Sweep, Mother Nature Style
LIke Dorothy says...
Things I never thought I would learn (or have to l...
Just a litte update
Dear Nationwide Flood Insurance Department
Wish you were here
Flooding SUCKS!!!!
I love the smell of river water at 4 am
Those dreams again


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button