Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I love the smell of river water at 4 am

Last night, we had an overnight guest. My Dad had to stay with us because of the flash flooding that occurred yesterday. It was one of those really weird ones ... the places where there is normally water had none, and places that didn't normally have it had it. All over.

My sister was on her way home and had to park her car at a rental house about a mile from hers because of the sheer amount of water that had taken over her road (also my parents' road). She had to walk home. She was facing seeing that water come into her house. My mother called for a prayer request.

Guess what I forgot to do?

Yeah. God has a memory, people.

Because guess what WE have POURING into our basement now. You got it. A river. A freaking river. And I'm not exaggerating. Since my Dad came back here to wake us up an hour ago, that water level has gone up a foot. And it KEEPS coming in. Because we live in an old house. And we have crappy basement windows. And who knows where ELSE this crap is pouring in from.

Robin ... if you read this this early, and were planning on making it to the Center.... just plan on having the day off, sweetie. Because you ain't getting to work. And Dale, if you were planning on it .... have another cup of joe. Because you would need to get here on a boat.

I have NEVER seen it like it. Never.

Last night ... remember that God memory thing of which I speak .... well, last NIGHT I was just commenting on the fact that we have NEVER had a problem with water here. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson that once you give something lipservice, BANG! Instant whatever it was you were bragging about not having to deal with happens to you.

My only fear is that we don't become those people that have to evacuate to the top of the roof and wait it out because we live in a ranch. There's no extra floor here. I am hoping that I STOP seeing that damn murky water rise up those basement stairs.

Ace is outside, packing the windows with ... shoot, I don't know what. We need sandbags. Of course, we don't have them. And when we we to bed last night, this wasn't even a threat. No sign of it whatsoever.

I feel sick to my stomach about the whole thing, but these things are just possessions. We have flood insurance for this very reason. I just hope that the safety of my family isn't compromised. I mean, if we could get out anywhere, I would have us holed up in a hotel, waiting this out.

The person I feel the worst for is my Dad. Nothing like coming to your daughter's house to escape the floodwaters of your road only to be met by the river across the street. You would have thought it would have been the other way around, huh?

And his prized $ 35,000 Volvo SUV is sitting out on the road.

Pray for us, if you do that. And don't say "ok" and not do it. I'm warning you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you :o) Let me know how things are. Love ya.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Michele R said...

I just said a quick prayer for you.

Flooding sucks, so let me offer a little sympathy here, in addition to the prayer. Hopefully the flooding will stop, you can get your basement pumped out and get your lives back to normal ASAP.

Be well!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man. I saw the flooding on the news. Lots of prayers coming your way.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Windyridge said...

Entertaining blog and I love your header.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Those dreams again
As if he could endear himself ANYmore to me
Those phone calls you hate getting ... and a phone...
It's like they are speaking to me, man
Dreams
Making a choice
The new toy
I Heart Drake Bell
Come on .... you all be jealous now
Sucked into the white trash tornado


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button