Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Musings..

First of all, thanks to Dr. John, someone I have never "met" before ... he is linking to my site today. Thank you so much! And hello to you all who are linking over from there. Hope you enjoy the reading.

I was reading on my renter's blog a few days ago about how she was feeling about the lack of blogging about her child, and how she had come to grips with the fact that you don't need to have every single post about your child because ... well ... as much as we love our children, it is hard to understand the dynamic of them when you aren't there and witnessing them first-hand.

But let me give you a little glimpse into the persona of the Chandelier Monkey, if you don't mind. If you do, well you know where that X is on your screen.

The Monkey is a petite little thing. When she was born, she weighed in at a whopping 4 pounds 13 ounces. After having the Queen weigh in at 9 9 and the Man in at 8 13, I didn't know what to do with a child that size. And she hasn't outgrown it. I feared that she might be meek or not be able to hold her own. So far from the truth.

Now, when she throws her little three year old fits at home, I deal with it in an expeditious manner. She gets whisked off to time outs on the floor. And then she resumes the same activity that landed her in the time out in the first place. This child screams, screeches, yells, corrects her brother, argues with him, tells her sister to sit down... the list goes on and on. And we have to constantly tell her to curb it.

However, the tables are turned when he go out to eat somewhere. The playing field is different. Here, Mom and Dad have NO control over what is said and done by the Monkey. If she even LOOKS like she is going to cry, we try to divert her attention. If the Door Man starts to argue with her, and she gets that mean look in her eye, we tell the Door Man to knock it off. Because let me tell you: heck hath no fury like the Monkey scorned.

We practically bend over backwards to get her to think about something else.

Have you ever seen Twilight Zone: The Movie? It was Episode Three where a little boy could make all his wishes come true. I just remember how they would walk on eggshells around him, making sure that noone ticked him off for fear of what he would do to them. Yeah ... imagine that at a restaurant.

Because you know ... Ace and I don't want to live the rest of our lives inside the tv where our kids could turn us on and off with the remote control. But maybe we already do.

13 Comments:

Blogger Bellezza said...

I have just come upon this Thursday Thirteen concept and I am quite intrigued. So, I hopped on over to your site and want to complement you on your voice. You write with wonderful style. Looking forward to sharing some "thirteens" with you.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Is there some "list" of what goes on during the days of the week? I have seen WW. (Wordless Wednesdays) and a FOAD -- but not going to explain that one. Something for the rest of the days?

Thanks Dr. John for the points

4:23 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John sent me here.

I am so glad he did. What a great laugh! Sounds like you have yourself a mini-might. Ours grew up to be quite a wonderful person, so take heart!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our youngest is the, umm, spirited/stubborn one in the family, too. He's not beyond stripping his entire bed and throwing stuff around the room to get his point across. Eventually he calms down and makes his bed the next day, after he's spent a night half uncovered because the linens are mostly on the floor due to his fit.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

If you haven't met Dr. John, it's worth making the trip to see him...and not only that, he introduces the rest of us to blogs we might not ever have seen otherwise.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I like your blog! Dr. John sent me. I'll be back.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I hope you enjoyed being the link of the day. Every day we send people to a new link and they get usless JCPOINTS for going there. Every month we have a marathon where we visit all the people who have JCPOINTS or as many as possible. You are welcome to join our little group. You have a very interesting blog and an interesting child.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always warned my sons to be nice to their baby sister, telling them that "There's nothing meaner than a mean little girl".
Reading about the bully confrontation; wondered if YOU were the one who put the "feist" in your feisty little girl?
Dr. John sent me over to visit you.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lois wonders if you put the fiesty in Ms. J...ha ha ha! If they only knew:) You go girl with your blog self..
maybe this is your new career..you may be the next Jen L.!
Yes, hell hath no fury like a scorned princess either, we are dealing with that here. She may weigh a little more, but all 3's are the same inside...

7:48 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

So the little one is controlling you at restuarants what a challenge. The good news if it is being three she will turn four.
I was sent by Dr John

8:16 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

The feisty was definitely put there by me....

And as bad as I made it sound, the monkey is not as bad as she used to be ... but there are times when I wonder when the stage will ever end. It is like I never had children before her or something.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm seriously a blog retard...I need help writing this stupid code so I can participate...can you come over sometime and help me?!
Robin

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Hot Tot Toy Awards
I'm starting to think I need to change his name
Give a shout out!
Opening a can of whoop ass
Thirteen of My Favorite CerealsI am a self-proclai...
I can't believe we have the same taste
It's all in the eyes
Robert Palmer knew nothing
Good Saturday Morning
Dinner AND a movie


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button