Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 ... where were you?


It was the Queen's first day of preschool. I was driving her to school, listening to K-Love. I heard the radio announcers say a prayer for the souls aboard a plane, and for the situation in New York City. I looked up in the sky, and it was a clear and beautiful morning.

I drove home, and turned the news on. My sister in law, whose birthday was that day, called me from home, crying. "Can you believe THIS? This is awful? WHAT is happening?" I told her that I had no idea as I had just come in and flipped the television on. It was on almost every single channel. At that point in time, the second plane had already hit the second tower. My mother in law called, saying she was watching the newscasts when the second plane barreled into the tower. Disbelief and a feeling of surrealism was starting to settle in.

I called Ace to see if he had heard the news. We were sitting on the phone when the first collapse occurred. I remember sitting on the couch, and screaming "NO!" when it happened. I knew that it was only a matter of time that the second tower would fail. And it did.

Life was not the same after that. We walked around, looking to the skies, wondering what was going to be next. We started to worry about our water sources. We started hearing words like "biological terrorism" and "heightened terror levels." We watched in agony as bombs were set off in the London Transport systems. Initially, we cheered when we heard of the foiling of a yet another major plot to bring the terror back, but then stepped back and said "please, not again."

To the victims' families of 9/11, may you someday find peace of heart and mind. It must be very difficult to relive this tragedy every time this date is mentioned, every time you see a picture of a loved one, every time you see a picture of the Pentagon, or the Twin Towers, or an empty field in Pennsylvania.

I will never forget where I was. Will you?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that day. Jon was a few weeks from his second birthday. Mike called me from work and I turned the tv on. At first I thought it was just a terrible accident and then the second plane hit. As I heard about the pentagon and yet another plane in Pennsylvania I was totally shocked and felt such sadness. On the news you would see the families desperate to find their loved ones, grasping their pictures. I had to stop watching. It was ripping my heart out. I know I hugged my family tighter that night and I prayed for those families.
It put in perspective what is truly important. This is a difficult day for thousands of people. I thank God for the special people he has put in my life. K.M. your friendship is very dear to me. You have the kindest heart and I love you for that!!! Thank you for always being there for me. You are truly one of a kind.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on my way to a doctor's appointment and had an hour drive. The radio was playing awful music when I got in the car that morning, so I popped in a cd and jammed all the way there.

I parked in the lot, walked in, checked in for my appointment and noticed the receptionist in tears. I didn't say anything, maybe she got a bad phone call or something, I didn't want to be nosy.

I sat down in a waiting room chair and happened to look up at the tv just in time to catch the second plane crash. It was shocking. And I understood why she was crying. The room was absolutely silent, yet almost filled to capacity.

I couldn't imagine what it was like to see that in person. The images on tv were haunting and it amazes me that the families of those in the buildings and on those planes ever managed to get through the day much less move on.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I'll never forget either. I had just dropped my daughter off at preschool and was enjoying a wonderful stroll with my son on a beautiful fall morning. I didn't know what had happened until I walked into the high school to visit my husband.

Lots of confusion and horror that day. I wrote about my experience too.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks for sharing, Meredith. I wrote on my blog today, too. I need to curl up with some good knitting today.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Sudiegirl said...

I was working at GEICO and had only been living in the DC area for a few months.

We crowded around radios and TVs like we were pioneers around a campfire.

It was horrific.

My now-ex husband was home sick and was probably one of ten people in the whole world that didn't have TV or radio on.

I can't think about it anymore today without hurting inside.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband actually called and woke me up that morning. I had been downsized from my job of 12 years and had been given 6 months severance pay. I turned on the television just in time to see the second plane hit. It all seemed so surreal. I was glued to the television for days and had nightmares for weeks. I kept thinking I heard planes flying overhead in the middle of the night (I am an hour from DC and less time from Camp David).

Even watching footage on television today...it's like it's happening all over again and I continue to feel helpless.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the day well, Kendra and I were at the scrapbook store of all places. I can't imagine why we were even there so early, but we were. I will never forget it..the news today was so sad..just like it happened today.
Miss you woman..
I found a computer!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

I remember I called my mother to tell her I loved her, after I spoke to my husband, even though we were in Chicago and far away from the attacks. But, we must never pass the chance to say we love each other, because those chances are not forever.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I was driving to work, it was all over the radio. I don't remember parking, and walking to my classroom, just numb. I remember looking at my second grade students and thinking how sad our world had become.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

My new renter
Dear Mominator
My morning cup of guilt
The writing is on the wall
TT # 9
And the answer to the question was....
Oh .... the sexual depravity
More than just a Happy Meal
On the cusp
The Crocodile Hunter


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button