Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ok... I can't stop talking about this pageant crap

So I was looking around that site, with the pictures of all those poor children and babies. Kelly even commented that they just don't look real, that they look like porcelain dolls.

I can't even understand what this world is like, and I am sure that they have their own worlds i which they live. I know I do.

But linking out off of that main site that I linked to in the below post, I found this excerpt.


WOW!! Where do I begin?? My first glitz pageant and Mini Supreme. I had so
much fun I cannot wait to do another one. Thank you Miss Beverly your pageant
was a blast. I LOVE my new Husky from Stuff Happens I took him home and slept
with him the same night. And OH MY GOODNESS what a beautiful crown butterflies
are my favorite. Congrats to everyone at the pageant! Everyone did an awesome
job and looked BEAUTIFUL on and off stage. I had fun playing with all you girls.
I hope we get to do it again soon. My favorite was plaing outside after the
pageant in the sand and seeing the lil lizard you girls caught. Miss Alisha
thank you for my beautiful hair and make-up I cannot wait to do it again. You
are the best and I am sooo happy to be a TKO!!! Thank you for putting on my lips
so many many times, I will try and not eat my lips when you put it on next time.
TEEHEE!! Thank you to my BIG SIS Trinity & my best buddy Sydney for playing
with me and cheering me on on stage. I had a blast at your Birthday party Sydney
playing in the sand and catching the Lizzy the Lizzard and the cake was
WONDERFUL!! YUMMY YUMMY! Thank you Miss Heather for my AWESOME COMP CARD. You work really well under pressure. LOL I will make sure to send my next one to you at the last minute so It is just as good. HEHEHE

Lastly the Biggest thanks of all goes to Larlo (AKA Marlo). You are so silly. I just LOVE to say your name. TEEHEE! Thank you for helping with my hair and make-up. And putting on my lip gloss so many, many times before I went on stage. You were there everytime I went on stage to make sure I would laugh and giggle. You help my Mommy so much and we are so happy you are a part of our lives. We love you guys so much!!

Thank You!XOXOXOXLove Nakayla Jolee Gray



Ok.... do you know how old Nakayla is? Well, she looks to be about three years old.

Do you really think she said ALL that?

Thank you for my COMP CARD? Seriously. If you are going to write a message from your kid, don't you think it should be in three-year old speak?

I think the message should have sounded a little more like this:

Mommy, I want to play like all the normal kids my age do. I want to dig in the sandbox, and swing on the swings. I want to realize MY dream of riding a tricycle. I want to eat sundaes and catch butterflies. I want to tan the natural way by swimming in the pool. I want to run after the ice cream man. I hate that dress, I look like I am 23 years old, and I don't like how scratchy that wig makes my head feel.

Oh no. I'm sorry. That is what I would LIKE Nakayla to say.

Actually, if she were allowed to speak for herself, what would she say?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I'm going to come out of the "closet" here and tell you that I was in pageants when I was a near-adult. I entered the first one because I was very competitive in forensics, the contest had a speech component and there were scholarship dollars at stake. From age 17-24, I participated in about 8 of them, including the state qualifiers for Miss America and Miss USA. It was always my choice.

Even with my background, my stomach CHURNS looking at the photos of those girls. And the note from the 3-year-old? Gimme a break.

WE don't follow the pageant scene at all, I don't think I've even seen one on TV for about 5 years, but my daughter (9) has seen photos of my pageants. I asked her once if she ever thought she'd want to do something like that. She's pretty matter of fact, "I don't think so."

If she'd see pictures like these, she'd be like, "Are you nuts, Mom?"

9:11 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

And see Kelly .. THOSE pageants have a purpose. These "glitz" pageants ... I am not sure what it is. Materialism? Living our life through our children? I wonder ... is this any different than a jock father who insists that his son take part in the same sports that he did when he was growing up, pushing the son to be more and more competitive as time goes by?

I guess I ask this: what is happening to our society when we can't let kids just be kids? When I was growing up, I played. I was a kid. I had skinned up knees. I fell down a lot. I spent a few summers totally on roller skates. I ran around the neighborhood with my friends.

THAT is what childhood is all about.

THAT is why I cringe when we keep taking our kids to soccer games, and I see parents on the sidelines, yelling at their kids to kick the ball (Ok ... I do do that, I admit ... but only because it is the Door Man, and the ball is right at his toetip! other than that, I just sit back and let the kids have fun). We have a few of those parents on the Man's U-6 team, and really ... they are five and six years old!! They aren't the next Pelees or Beckhams.

Ooopss... I digress ...

It has just made me think about a lot of things.

Oh and Kelly ... I have a GREAT PTT entry for Tuesday! I can't wait!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I agree completely. And I'm very competitive too. During Curt's soccer games last spring, his team really struggled and I caught myself doing exactly what I hate seeing parents do (the bleacher coach, you know?)

So I stopped saying anything at all. I was just there, I just watched, and when it was water break or the game was over, I just hugged my son and told him he was doing great.

I think it's easy to get caught up in something and lose touch, but many parents just never get it back again.

I can't wait to read your next PTT post!!

Kelly

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Holy hell... I think they would say, "take this makeup off me because I look like an overmedicated Stepford wife..."

Then, Hannah from Alabama who is, 10, would try and date my husband.

There is something really disturbing about those photos.

There may be lots of "pluses" to the pageant circut, but all I can see is that we are telling our daughters, at the youngest of ages, your looks are all that really matter.

10:16 AM  
Blogger MommaMonkey said...

How wrong. And that little letter just proves how these parents are parading their children around like materialist possessions. Let children be children. This should totally be illeagal.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to check out that website and all I can say is . . . STRANGE!!! Those girls don't even look real. They wear more make-up than adult women do. Who would do that to their child? I think it's borderline abuse.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Have you seen Little Miss Sunshine? We recently saw it, that pageant stuff is messed up! SCARY!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Gag me with a wig.... seriously!
TT # 10
I Caught Ya!
Pass the Torch Tuesday
Mommy ... how do people die?
9/11 ... where were you?
My new renter
Dear Mominator
My morning cup of guilt
The writing is on the wall


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button