Wednesday, September 13, 2006

TT # 10

Christi Thomas' parents have reached the conclusion that they will allow Christi to "die with dignity" as the cancer has completely overtaken Christi's body. It may seem strange that I keep talking about this little girl, but I know that I am not the only person who has not been able to get her off our minds. With every post comes news that seems harder and harder to handle, and that is just from a reader's point of view. What could her parents and her family and friends possibly be feeling at this point in time.

I look at her pictures, of her progression down this road. There are pictures of happier times, before her diagnosis. There are pictures of graver times when she has no hair or eyebrows or eyelashes. She has fought this disease, tooth and nail, kicking and screaming. But it is just too much for her little body. The tumor in her brain does not seem to be shrinking from the radiation treatments, so her parents have determined that enough is enough.

Even though the recountings of the struggles of this child are hard to read, and the pain of the parents can be felt with every word that is written, her blog has taught me to count my blessings, and to be thankful for my life.

To Christi and her family, thank you for teaching me the value of life. It can never be taken for granted.

Thirteen Things For Which I Am Most Thankful
1. First and foremost: the health of my children. This cannot be stated enough.

2. The journey of this marriage with Ace.

3. The fact that my parents are both alive and healthy, and live in the same town that we do.

4. The fact that Ace's parents are both alive and healthy, and can visit when they can.

5. That my father in law was able to overcome a massive heart attack and continue to live a fulfilling life.

6. My siblings, especially my sister. I would be totally lost without her. I am also thankful that my brother and I, although 11 years apart, can overcome that age difference and still have a healthy relationship.

7. My friends. I am thankful that I can stand with Jacque in church and offer her support when she needs it. I am thankful that Robin and I have entered each other's lives again, and have a stronger relationship than ever before. I am thankful that I have met Christie Weiss, and thankful that our paths seem to cross more and more everyday.

8. This small town that I grew up in, and am now raising my family in. I love this little town. It means so much to me.

9. My job. As much as I complain about it, I have it, and I am thankful for that.

10. Even though I cuss and carry on, I am SO thankful for my church, and the lovely people in choir with me.

11. My knitting business. It isn't huge, but it has offered money when we needed it.

12. My house. Although it is small compared to a lot of other houses, it is home and it offers that comfort and solace to my children.

13. Last, but certainly not least, and the most important one of all .... my children. I could not live without them. I could not imagine life without them. I am so thankful for them every day. I look for new ways that they continue to amaze me, and I love them for who they are, and who they are yet to be.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


39 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent TT. Those are definitely some wonderful things to appreciate.

I couldn't imagine losing one of my kids, or not having them. I'm with you, they are my pride and joy...my life.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

LOVE this TT...
I love reading what people are thankful for... it makes all our cyber friends seem more real, yah know!
GREAT TT
mine is up

11:12 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I went to the Christi link...My thoughts and prayers are with them.
The thankful list TT's are very important..
We need to be thankful..
Great list!
Mine is up

11:29 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

A fantastic list. I've been thinking a lot about this family, since you posted on Tuesday. And I've had many of the same thoughts as you've had.

Excellent post. Sad story.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Meira{FB} said...

Great TT! Have a wonderful day!

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful...I love thinking about what I'm thankful for. It really helps to make the little things I whine about every day seem even smaller.

Thanks for sharing that! I think I'm going to go to bed happy now ~ thinking about all my wonderful gifts!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

I love your positive take on life, how much better it is to give thanks than complaints.

I, too, find myself thankful for my son, my parents, my church, my home, my job and of course, my husband: a stable rock of character in an often immoral world.

We have a lot in common.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Blessing are always great things to focus on. Great list and a great list of players in your life.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Southern Girl said...

Beautiful list! It's always good to sit back and remember our blessings. Thanks for the reminder.

My TT is up, too.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for that beautiful list

12:30 AM  
Blogger Sally F said...

Very beautiful list. Thanks for making me think of what I'm thankful for.

Thanks, also, for visiting my TT.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Such a chearful post. love it. Happy TT!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

most excellent. what an amazing girl and family! my heart aches for them. thanks for sharing.
my tt is up this eek.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

#1 is on my mind too. Our family's health is something not to be taken for granted....so true, I couldn't agree more.
Great TT!
mine is up.

3:22 AM  
Blogger YellowRose said...

What a wonderful 13!! We all need to remember what we are thankful for more often!

Happy Thursday!

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After just losing a close friend and co-worker this week to cancer, I can understand what the family is going through.

You do look back and appreciate what you have in your life, even if its not exactly what you may want.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Nadiah Alwi - Write at Home Mom said...

Beutiful TT, very inspiring...

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool list. Yes, it is all those things that make life worthwhile.
My next TT will have to be more positive!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Very important reminder.

Thanks.

Have a great Thursday!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

looking at what you're thankful for is a wonderful way to appreciate life and what it means. :)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Wonderful list. That reallys makes me think about what I am thankful for. I am thankful for many of the same things!

Happy TT...mine's up!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a super list of things to be thankful for. Sometimes in this busy, hectic world; we forget what's important & what to be thankful for. Thank you for reminding me to be thankful as well.

Thanks for stopping by my TT & commenting. I hope you are having a terrific Thursday. :-)

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. My oldest daughter had surgery a couple of weeks ago, and although she's recovering well, it brought us out of cruise control and caused us to stop and smell the roses a bit. Thanks for the reminder this week as well.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Dane Bramage said...

It is always a great idea to count our blessings and you seem to have so much to be greatful for.

Thanks for stopping by my T13!

My T13 is up. It is The Daydream Edition!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Zeus said...

I think that these are wonderful things to be thankful for! Family and friends are what make life great.

Happy Thursday to you, and thank you for visiting me!

10:50 AM  
Blogger -R- said...

I don't know what to say except that was very touching.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely list. It's important to remember

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our health is everything.

Thanks for the reminders!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Isn't it mysterious how some people we meet and their lives offer a change to have a transformative and awareness experience. Sometimes its someone in the news, sometimes it is the suffereing of someone else...we are able to bond and emotionally have an awaking and it makes our lives seem and be so much more fragile and important.

My prayers with you...and your friend and her family.

Here is my Tt list...

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/09/thirteen-things-i-can-do-to-save-world_14.html

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#3...enjoy and relish that. I lost my dad 3 years ago...it's hard to imagine 3 years have passed.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwe, great list!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

My sweet, sweet 19 year old goddaughter passed away from Ewing's sarcoma in March and it was hard watching the disease progress. But even in that sad time, there were so many blessings and I was so fortunte to be there for her and with her. Like you, I try to see the good things and count my very own blessings because life is so short, isn't it?

I hadn't heard about Christi and I appreciate you sharing that.

Thanks for stopping by Snarkypants. Hope you have a great weekend!

(PS: those little girls look like dolls. I find that hideous too)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful, inspiring T13!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and Happy Thurs.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your list. We should all take a litte more time to be thankful for what we have instead of complaining about what we don't. Thank you so much for sharing.

10:02 PM  
Blogger BlondeBrony said...

What a wonderful post. Very positive.
Thank you for sharing.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your list girlie, so sweet-
sorry I'm a day late..
I needed a re-coup day:)

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful list! I like the cussin' and choir one, lol!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

A beautiful list - we all have many things in our lives to be thankful for - we all just need a reminder every now and then

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. All great things to be thankful for and you prefaced this post sowell with the story about Christi. It is a brave thing he parents have decided.

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

I Caught Ya!
Pass the Torch Tuesday
Mommy ... how do people die?
9/11 ... where were you?
My new renter
Dear Mominator
My morning cup of guilt
The writing is on the wall
TT # 9
And the answer to the question was....


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button