Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pass the Torch Tuesday



Today will be a different entry for me. Since Kelly introduced the concept of "catching a kid doing a good thing," I have kept my eye out for all kids doing this, not just mine.

A few times, I have commented about a girl who is battling Neuroblastoma. Yesterday was the fourth anniversary of her nasty diagnosis. She was diagnosed when she was five years old, and has lived with this nasty cancer since then.

But she isn't the only who has lived this life. So have her parents, her grandparents, and her friends. But most importantly, Christi has a little sister named Shayla. Shayla is around Queen Bee's age, and I look at her pictures and think to myself: WOW. Imagine what the Queen would be like if she had to endure a sibling who was diagnosed with a terminal disease.

Things with Christi have gone from semi-good to bad to worse in the matter of a few weeks. A few weeks ago, she was at school, enjoying herself. Then the pain started, and they could no longer control it with what they had at home. They needed to make the trip to CHOP in Philly. The father, Shayne, took Christi, and the Mom, Angela, and Shayla, met up with them over Labor Day weekend. The parents had been "keeping Shayla at a distance" from the situation, wanting to shield her from as much as they could. However, they decided it was time that Shayla saw and knew everything that was going on with Christi.

You can read through Christi's blog, and see all of the amazing things that Christi has had to endure. However, I have been amazed and taken aback at the profoundness presented in Shayla's compassionate and caring nature. Instead of being jealous of the attention given to Christi, Shayla responds with a kind touch, a loving comment.

In particular, this comment struck me:

Sweet Shayla made us cry last night. Even though she’s staying overnight with the Grants and did not want us to drive out to get her when I called and asked her, we found a note she left behind. It said, "Help is my job." She’s a sweetie!

There are many posts there to read about Shayla and Christi. Both of these girls deserve so much more than the hands they have been dealt. But they both are true warriors.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Wow. What courageous young people. Thank you so much for honoring Shayla and her sister in this way. Another perfect example of passing the torch.

Kelly
Home of Pass the Torch Tuesday

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing their story.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I go to the blog, I hold my breath..just knowing that she probably is about to die. Yes, I think of that little sister often, having two girls I think it really hits home. Not sure how in the world I would deal..

5:30 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Kids are amazing. They know how to make the best out of what is given them and march on. They inspire me.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Meredith, this post is my spotlight post of the week! If you email me your address, I'll send you the magnet - congrats!

ptt at empowering-youth dot com

Kelly
Home of Pass the Torch Tuesday

10:25 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Thank you so much, Kelly.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Mommy ... how do people die?
9/11 ... where were you?
My new renter
Dear Mominator
My morning cup of guilt
The writing is on the wall
TT # 9
And the answer to the question was....
Oh .... the sexual depravity
More than just a Happy Meal


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button