Monday, October 09, 2006

Technologically challenged

Yesterday, I was on Front Line Vocals in church. We started using headsets, so think Brittney Spears in church. Singing church songs, of course. And in choir robes. And no slutty dancing. Ok. Don't think Brittney Spears.

Anyway, there are three of us who are miked, and Wednesday night was the first time we used them. It was a go for yesterday morning.

Imagine my surprise when the sound man came to me in the lobby at the end of the first service, telling me that I needed to turn my mike on. I told him that I thought I had. He said "no, you turned yourself off."

Ok. Cool.

Then I started thinking.

I had that mike on the WHOLE time I was up there, except for when I should have had it on.

Including the rehearsal time when I was complaining about not feeling too "spiritual" that morning to a friend of mine.

Including the time when I was back in the back of the church talking to our senior pastor about how I looked like a diva with the headset on.

Including the time when I was bi*&#ing to the same said friend about the fact that I didn't get a solo part, and that he gave it to someone else. And there were some snarky comments made.

Including the time that I went into the choir room, took off my robe, and started walking down the hallway, complaining that my feet hurt.

However, I do believe that the sound man was smart enough and picked up the fact that I was having some technical difficulties.

But really... how hard can up for on and down for off be.

Obviously I was more worried about gossiping in church than learning the curve.

Lesson learned.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That could have been disasterous! Good thing it's also funny and makes for a good post. ;)

Thanks for having me as your renter. I'll try not to be too much trouble.

K

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

I remember a soundman once giving me very careful instructions about a clip-on mic. He said a previous speaker had forgotten to turn it off while he was in the bathroom.

OOOOOPS!

Needless to say, I'm now very careful with microphones;)

Kelly

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe I have just wet myself laughing at this post. Sounds like you and I both had nice, embarrassing moments this weekend.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I hate cordless microphones! LOL! The sound guy must have had a hilarious time listening to you!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

What I am nervous about is if he picked up on my snarky conversation, and then reported me to my choir director! But oh well... it isn't anything I wouldn't tell him to his face.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Crayonsetc said...

Oh, that so sounds like something that would happen to me!!

Well, as your new landlord for the week, I thought I would stop by and let you know your intro is up!!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

There's a joke in picture form that goes something like this:

Man's switch: on/off
Woman's switch: looks like an airplane control panel

See, we just have a lot more switches to take care of (like my mouth, my mood, my outfit, my self-confidence, my attitude...)

I think you did well, to even get in front of every one and sing.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Oh Bellezza... that is perfect! Thank you for making me feel 100 percent better about it. I mean, I do pride myself in being a smart individual, and I HATE to be made an example of what NOT to do.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

I have to admit that you have me laughing.

I work in the sound booth at my church, so I have been around for more than a few microphone disasters....like the time someone forgot to turn the choir mikes off during "welcome and hankshake time"...yeah, that was bad.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Oh Tracie... I could only imagine!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Where in the BLEEP did my weekend go?
The Pink Diary's Statistics
Only 13 more hours
In 24 hours
TT # 13
Unce, Tice, Free Hundred Times a Mady
Fun with Food
Pass the Torch Tuesday
12:19 am
A Perfect Post - September Style


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button