Thursday, October 05, 2006

TT # 13



WOW! 13 Thursday 13s! And I feel bad that I haven't come up with some really witty list of 13 things. Oh well.

I am an auditory person. There are songs that will come on the radio or my iRiver, and I will immediately think of a person or a place in my life, thinking of all the good memories (or bad).

So here is my list of:

13 Songs That Hold Memories for Me

1. Unchained Melody. This is "our" song. Ace took me to see Ghost when we first started dating, and I fell in love with this song, and fell in love with Ace at the same time.

2. Dreams by The Cranberries. I used to play this song when Queen Bee was a tiny little baby, remembering my mother telling me that she used to dance with us to music. So whenever this song plays, I immediately think of that sweet little baby, falling asleep on my shoulder as we danced around the living room of our first house.

3. 316 A Guitar Solo by Eddie Van Halen. This also reminds me of Ace. Ace is a lover of all things Van Halen, especially Eddie. He always loved his little guitar solos they would throw on an album, and it takes me back to a time in college when there were no worries other than not having anything to do on Friday night.

4. Cathedral Another Guitar Solo by Eddie. Same stuff as number 3.

5. Godspeed. This song reminds me of the Door Man and the Monkey. I sing this song to Monkey before she goes to bed, and I discovered the song when the Man was a little guy. I just loved the lyrics.

6. Shepherd Moons by Enya. This is a whole album, I know. But my roommate at Cedar Point loved to play Enya's music to go to sleep, and at that point in my life, I had never even heard of her. After that, I was an addict to her music.

7. Should've Been by Tiffany. I think that is the song ... you know... The Flowers You Gave Me Are Just About to Die. This song reminds me of when my ex ex boyfriend broke up with me when I was a senior in high school. I remember going off to All County Choir tryouts, crying my eyes out and this song came on. I had to literally PULL OVER to sing this song and sob. Yeah. Young love. Now that ex ex has been charged with conspiracy to commit tax fraud. Good times.

8. Come on Eileen. This song just reminds me of all things 80s. It is a great summation of all those feelings and times I had as a child of the 80s.

9. Tubthumping by Chumba Wumba. I Get Knocked Down But I Get Up Again. This song, of all things, reminds me of when I worked part-time at The Disney Store and I was newly pregnant with the Queen. I would have to run to the bathroom and get sick because I had morning sickness the moment I knew she was in my body. We always had the radio on after work when we were cleaning up, and we always called in and requested the station to play it.

10. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. I went to a smaller community college that was about 4 hours from where I lived for the first two years of college. My sophomore year, there was a really bad car accident that involved four upperclassmen. Three of them were killed. We had a memorial dedication to them, and I remember this song blaring from one of the dorm rooms.

11. Rocket Man by Elton John. When the Door Man was the tender age of one, he started having seizures. They were different; not the typical petit mal or grand mal that you would think. They were so subtle that it was hard to get them on a regular EEg. So we had to have a 24-hour ambulatory EEg done. He was strapped up to this computer equipment, and he looked like a little astronaut walking around this house. It broke my heart, and then Rocket Man came on the radio and all I could think of was how he looked like an astronaut getting ready to take off for the moon.

12. Beth by Kiss. This song reminds me of my Sissy, Mini Martha. She used to play this ALL the time because, well, it is a short version of her name. And I just remember that song being etched into my brain.

13. Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo Ole'. This is that one that you hear started on a lot of commercials with the ukelele. I just LOVE this song. They play it for Rice Krispie commercials now, but it used to be played for some other commercial, and I fell in love with it. The commercial was on during the time that the Queen was a babe, and it reminds me of her every time I hear it.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Right behind you woman! Love 7 and 8! Was a HUGE Tiffany fan.. and Eileen? Nuff said!
Happy Thursday!
Still recovering from that Taco Boat!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Caylynn said...

Great songs. :) Thanks for sharing the memories that go along with them. :) Happy Thursday! :)

7:42 AM  
Blogger Darla said...

I don't know what you're talking about--this is a great list! Much better than just a simple 13 favorite songs. I'm going to go make some notes about songs that have memories for me, too.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I have this great Ska cover of Come On Eileen by No Doubt. It's so much better than the orginal! (And I love the orginal!)

Have a great Thursday!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

songs and smells - some of the most powerful memory inducers. :)

9:04 AM  
Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

I am so GLAD you posted this list! I like reading through music lists. Gives me good material for my own. Hey, my five year old LOVES Enya. Isn't that cool? He calls her "Enya the Singing Onion". ;)

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list! I never knew what that Rice Krispies song was exactly.

Come on Eileen...one of my all-time favorite 80's songs and Pman's all-time HATED 80's song. LOL!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

"Come on, Eileen" still makes my blood coarse wildly through my veins! I always feel compelled to sing at the top of my lungs.

TOO-RAH-LOO-RAH-TOO-RAH-LOO-RAH-YEA!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a GREAT list!

and i love the song dreams by the Cranberries! love it!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace here. I just have to chime in on this post.
I have never, in my 36 years on Earth, met a woman with a larger auditory memory than Meredith. Maybe it's a male/female thing, but she can associate most any time or event in her life to a piece of music. I think it's great, and I wish I could do that as well as she.
Your ears rock, M!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love 1 & 2. Classic ang just awesome songs that you won't forget. Happy TT! Mine is up, drop by if u can =)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Pfingston said...

Brought back memeries just reading your list! Cool.

4:55 PM  
Blogger BlondeBrony said...

Thanks for sharing your memories.
Happy TT!

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Should've Been, brings back memories!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Unce, Tice, Free Hundred Times a Mady
Fun with Food
Pass the Torch Tuesday
12:19 am
A Perfect Post - September Style
Open mouth, insert soccer cleat
Lost in translation
Welcome to The Pink Diary
Lines from movies
This is your brain. This is a bad movie. This is y...


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button