Thursday, November 30, 2006

Take a picture; it'll last longer

My MIL is a picture FREAK. She takes a camera EVERYwhere she goes. Yes, she does scrapbook. But most of the pictures end up in photo albums. 100s and 100s of photo albums. I would tease Ace that she has a picture of him at every band performance of his life. Every. Last. One. You think I jest? I don't.

So when it comes to pictures, she has them. All of them.

And she doesn't just have a camera. She has two cameras: a digital and a regular camera. She sends me all of her pictures that she takes. And she doesn't really need to do that because, while I scrapbook, I don't need THAT many pictures. I have boxes upon boxes of pictures that I am just not going to do a thing with, and I am not going to put them in an album. I don't like them because they are impersonal to me. I would rather have them in a warm looking scrapbook... at some point in the picture's life.

And we don't just get pictures of Queen Bee scoring a goal, or the Monkey blowing out candles. No. That would be good enough for me, but it isn't for her.

We also get pictures of them. Fishing. On their boat. Holding up a fish. Going to a covered bridge. Shoot, I even have a few of them in their, ahem, bathing suits.

Now seriously. WHAT am I going to do with a picture of my MIL and FIL in their bathing suits?

I was pondering putting all of the pictures that I have pulled out of them in their own photo album, and handing them back to her. I don't NEED these pictures. I don't. I have pictures of them (that she has taken, mind you) with my kids. And that is all I really need.

But what really chaps my arse is this: when she emails me and asks me for MY pictures that I have taken at an event. Take Thanksgiving. She had both of her cameras there, and she wasn't letting any opportunity pass her by with that camera. All the good for her so she can have all of those pictures.

But when you ask ME for MY pictures, that doesn't cut it. Those are MY pictures, and if you weren't there for the moment (read: there are pictures that Ace took of the kids playing at the park; I am SURE that she is feeling left out of those photo opportunities because she couldn't go and snap every single moment on film), then really, you don't NEED those pictures. Because who is in all places at all times?

I am good. I forward her pictures of the kids at programs that they aren't able to attend. I forward her pictures of photos I have taken here at the house that are cute.

But when she is in the same place as I am, and she doesn't get the picture that I got, then so be it. That is just too bad that you aren't getting THAT angle.

And the reason I sound so bitter about this: when I had the Monkey, I was on the table, had my little operating hat on, and the nurse was holding the Monkey up so I could get a peek at her. It was MY moment. Ace took a picture of it, and that is mine to keep.

When my MIL was looking at the Monkey's birth scrapbook, she pointed at the one photo ... that one ... and said "oh.. I don't have THAT one."

You know WHY you don't have that one? Because that is MINE. And you aren't getting it.

Apparently, Ace didn't get that memo. And now she has it.

So now she has about every picture that used to be sacred to me.

And nothing is really mine anymore.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm shuddering at the thought of those bathing suit pictures. When I first read it I thought you meant your kids in their "suits" meaning, nekkid at the local swimming hole or something. Then I realized what you meant and about choked on my beer.

My mom is camera happy, but not that much. Enough so that we teasingly call her "Scoop", but your MIL has her beat...hands down.

Should I hug you or would she want a picture of that too?

Bwahahahaha!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Oh Sue, it isn't ME she wants to see. She just wants the kids. I told Ace that he gets to tell her that we didn't take very many, and that we aren't sending them to her. Too bad, so sad.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a nut! I will sometimes miss an event and want pictures, but I agree if you are there and took your own photos, leave it be.

bathing suit photos of old people? Gross!! LOL

7:48 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Yikes, you have every right to gripe. A picture of the grandkids here or there, great. But everything, scary. She needs to join some group and get busy with other people her age. Then she'll have more opportunities to take pictures of herself and share them with you, uh, maybe that's a bad idea.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

My gosh...are we related? I have the same MIL. Uggh. Some of my SIL's are psycho about their cameras too.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

TT # 19
Six Weird Things About Me
ONE more Thanksgiving story, and I promise to stop
So you tell me ....
Nobody under 21 admitted
Do you fight it?
About that plastic bag
1000 plus miles and three days later...
I leave you to discuss this
Why I feel the need ....


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button