Friday, December 29, 2006

ob·ses·sion - noun - 1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

I thought that no other child of mine could rival the Door Man's obsessions with things. Doors, paper, notebooks, and cars have all been obsessed over by the Man since he was able to walk. Doors started it all off. Open. Shut. Open. Shut. Open. Shut. We never had to worry that he was trying to get to the other side of the door. It was just his fun. I started to worry that maybe it was a sign of autism, but that fear dispelled itself over time.

Then it moved over to the Handy Dandy Notebook. It didn't have to look like Steve's notebook from Blue's Clues, though. It could be anything ... a homemade one or a hand-held flip notebook would suffice. I could take him to the grocery store with me, and he would have his list and walk beside me, and he could have the best time.

Now we have moved on to paper. Any paper. But he just writes one thing on it. Days of the week, months of the year, the years, you name it. It goes along with an obsession with calendars. While he could entertain himself with these things for hours, he is very particular about a lot of things.

So I really didn't think that I could meet a more uptight individual with a different obsession.

Until the Monkey started with her lip gloss obsession.

It started off innocently enough but it has grown to such epic proportion now that it is difficult to placate her when the lip gloss is ripped from her tiny hands.

We didn't get any lip gloss for her for Christmas because her lip gloss obsession precedes her, and we knew that someone in our family would feed the fixation. And sure enough, the Mominator came through with TWO lip gloss selections, one of which is a bright purple color and that glossy crap.

Now, I can handle her having something that is GOOD for her lips, like Chap Stick or a menthol-treated lip balm, but this stuff... it is sticky and it has appeared on sleeves and shirts.

When everyone else was opening their presents after the hurricane known as my children had whipped through theirs, the Monkey tripped over one of the rugs in my parents house. She fell, hit her chin, and immediately started crying. Daddy was right there to pick her up, and I knew what was going to come out of her mouth next...

I hurt my chin..... I need some lip gloss.

Because you know ... lip gloss fixes everything.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Funny. Sometimes I feel like chapstick will cure everything, too. haha

8:27 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Better than band aids, lip gloss! Funny!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, now that is cute. Love the pictures...she is one determined girl, eh?

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M, she totally cracks me up. I'm obsessed with Blistex, I wish it could make everything better. Wouldn't that be nice?

Is her obsession somewhat like the guy in "my big fat greek wedding" who sprays windex on everything? Watch out!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Oh my gosh, Jenn. I totally forgot about that dude in BFGW.

Unfortunately, I think it might be borderline Windex obsession....

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lip Gloss always makes me feel better, too! LOL!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have my family's Christmas party tomorrow. We do a name-draw gift exchange and one of the names we have is one of my small cousins. She's the same age as Doodlebug and I bought her a cute green Hello Kitty purse and put some bracelets and lip gloss in it. I hope she likes it.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good god woman..I hope that wasn't by your DIVA cup!!!
:)

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Baby Jane says...
TT # 23
My new roommate
Kudos to Ace
And you can take THAT to the bank
Let's break out those MLK decorations!
The Aftermath
Merry Christmas From The Knitting Maniac Seeing as...
Simply not to be outdone
And we shall never speak of the antlers again


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button