Wednesday, December 27, 2006

TT # 23



I borrowed this idea from my friend, Robin. She had a TT13 dedicated to her past jobs, and I thought it was pretty cool... so here is my list of...


Thirteen Jobs I Have Had

1. A Kroger bagger. It wasn't too bad of a job, but during the winter, man... it kicked my butt. I remember my mother making me get all dressed up in my Dad's Carhartts. It was embarassing.

2. A local ice cream joint employee. For one month. The Jolly Dipper, to be exact. I remember making my ex-boyfriend a milkshake, and him asking if there were pieces of coconut in the shake. It wasn't coconut. It was pieces of the styrofoam that I had chewed off of the cup when I had it on the machine (and that ex was Bob, Robin).

3. A ticket taker at a movie theater. For one day. Ace started a job at a theater when we were in college, and I wanted to spend as much time as I could with him so I decided to go for a job there. I hated it. HATED it. Did I mention that I hated it?

4. A ticket giver/event manager at our university's box office. LOVED this job. Absolutely loved it. Worked different events, sold the tickets, took care of front of house stuff. Just loved it.

5. A group sales ticket pusher at Cedar Point. This has and always will be my most favorite job of all time. I absolutely adored this job because I could go from college to this job, back to college, back to the job, and never, ever have to see my mother. Not. One. Single. Time. It was a glorious time for me, especially the summer that Ace worked there, too. Oh ... such glory days.

6. A research assistant for a tax professor. Ok. I did it for the carrel. I didn't want to be his research assistant, but he had a kick-ass carrel assigned for his assistant. So when he asked, I took it. I did absolutely NOTHING and he didn't care. It was a sweet setup.

7. A server at Friendlys. This was my longest server gig. I worked there in college and in law school. It was ok; we loved the instant money of it, but Ace HATED the way I smelled when I came home from work.

8. A server at Bob Evans. For one week. Yeah. Didn't care for that.

9. Administrator of the dispute resolution program at a Better Business Bureau. I really liked this job because I met a lot of cool people there. I didn't care for my boss, but I liked the Vice President ok. I worked there to the very last day before the Queen was born.

10. A server at the Olive Garden. Actually, I had this gig when I first graduated from law school and before I got the job in # 9. It was ok. I liked the eating part.

11. A Customer Service Manager at a Wally World Supercenter. Believe it or not, I really enjoyed this job. AND i was named their VERY first Employee of the Month! Hooo-ah! A law school grad working at Wal Mart. Hey ... I ain't too proud.

12. A Case Law Editor. It's an ok deal; I've had the chance to raise the kids and I appreciate having that opportunity.

13. Mother. I consider this the HARDEST job of all, and one that should be highly paid.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olive Garden is one of my favorite places! I wish we had one here.

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow from a waitress to a walmart employee to having a law degree!!

Happy New Year and TT

6:10 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

That's a lot of jobs! Happy TT and thanks for dropping by mine!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I second Skittle remark. An interesting array of jobs there. The mom job IS probably the hardest. A good list. Happy TT. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

That's quite a variety of jobs, thanks for sharing!
My list is about resolutions. All the best for the new year to you and yours.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Caylynn said...

Quite a variety of different jobs! Mother is definitely hard - I couldn't do it!

Happy T13. :)

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet no.13 is the most honorable one :) Thanks for stopping by!

8:50 AM  
Blogger tiggerprr said...

The Mom job is definately the hardest! Intersting list of jobs you've held. :)

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right...you should be paid for the last one! I don't have children, but I watch my friends and even my mother! Don't know how you do all that you have to do!!

Happy TT and Happy New Year!!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Chickadee said...

I giggled when I read the part where your chewed-off styrofoam piece from the cup ended up in your ex's milkshake. That's funny.

I'll bet you appreciate the job you have now...you've come a long way!

My 13 are up. I moved my blog so this is the first 13 in my new digs.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting variety, and I wholeheartedly agree with #13! I also discovered along the way that waitressing and sales were not my calling.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck said...

yes, mom is the hardest job

Did you see any cool shows while you were working at the University Ticket thing

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. Sounds like you've been supremely busy over the years.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

You've done so well!

Happy Thursday!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's a carrel?

10:50 AM  
Blogger N. Mallory said...

I loved my job at the movie theater, though I can't eat movie theater popcorn to this day. It's strange how different people take or don't take to certain jobs.

10:53 AM  
Blogger -R- said...

I miss Friendly's. I could use a big sundae right now!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Janet, a carrel is a study area. There were different types at our law school... ones with just dividers on desks, ones that were partitioned off desks and a great workspace, and ones like I had with a door that closed. It was NICE!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

Phew! It makes being a mom look easy! Sort of...

12:55 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Good one! I may use this one next week :)

Mine's up too.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meredith you are so funny! Can I just say I've only met you a couple of times but i'm addicted to your blog- almost a cult following! Love your design too- LOVE your blog!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Uisce said...

I think I've had just one job. Can I borrow some of yours? :)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have this theory about Momming not being so much a profession as a charity occupation!

Fun idea for a T13.

Happy New Year!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I felt exhausted just looking at all those jobs...and I agree I think being a parent is the most work...because it is the responsibility for another humans life and mind...to teach and keep safe and still...let them be their own person.

Isn't it crazy some of the jobs we land up doing in life?

Well great list a lot of fun...

Here is mine:

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/12/i-want-love-elton-john.html

and I wish you all the best of life in 2007!

Take care and great to meet you,
Candy

4:44 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I love Olive Garden. My husband got his own start in the working world at Taco Bell, a family favorite too.

First job for me was teaching piano lessons and cleaning houses.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I don't think I've had 13 jobs in my life. Let's see:

babysitter

grass cutter

DJ

cashier at a grocery store (for 1 week)

pasty hawker

board operator

computer operator

admin assistant

Nope. I've only held 8 jobs in my life.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

I had to leave out a few jobs here and there. I was a law clerk for a local attorney, and a server at Cracker Barrel, too.

Oh yeah... and an adjunct prof.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITA with #13! The HARDEST job ev-er!

That's quite the list of jobs!

Happy TT!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

From Lawyer to WalMart! I am sure there is a profound statement in there but I'm to tired to figure it out!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great List - I wouldn't be able to make a TT out of my work history - I've only had 3 jobs over a 27 year period.

Happy TT

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I have not worked at any fast food places. Hate the smell of greasy fries.
What a career!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Mother, hardest and the best!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! My husband couldn't do this meme because he hasn't held that many jobs. Of course, I have. I enjoyed learning more about you!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Motherhood's the best, but the other ones had interesting moments, I'm sure. Happy Saturday.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

My new roommate
Kudos to Ace
And you can take THAT to the bank
Let's break out those MLK decorations!
The Aftermath
Merry Christmas From The Knitting Maniac Seeing as...
Simply not to be outdone
And we shall never speak of the antlers again
TT # 22
Just how I feel


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button