Monday, January 01, 2007

Do you make them?

I have never really made a New Year's resolution. I have never promised anything to myself because I just don't want to let myself down.

But this year, I have decided to not "promise" anything to myself. This year, I have decided to make changes in how I conduct myself, how I live, and how I want others to live around me.

For example: I am CONSTANTLY on the kids to clean their rooms. I get upset when I see that nothing gets done.

Do you know why? I am too embarassed to even snap a picture of this bedroom of mine, but I lead by example. And I am setting a really bad one.

No wonder my kids want to live in a mess. Because I do. And so does their father.

Do you ever get to a point with clutter that it just overwhelms you? That you get to the frame of mind that it is easier to just say you live a cluttered life than to do anything about it?

I find that my mindset is much clearer when I don't have a dish in my sink, when I am not embarassed if people stopped over on the spur of the moment. It is almost as if I use my kids as the excuse of why we look like a tornado runs through our house every hour on the hour.

But it is because (1) we have too much stuff, and (2) we are slobs.

Now ... we aren't as bad as some of the people that I have seen on Clean House. I mean, I could NEVER live that way. That would drive me insane.

But for a family of five living in an 1100 s.f. house, we have a LOT of stuff.

I envy those people who have a place for everything. I need to have an organizer come into my house and get me organized. I know I would keep up with it. And I know that my kids would appreciate it, too.

So ... that is my lifestyle change. I need to organize and get this house shaped up into something that is liveable as opposed to chasing junk all over the place.

What I need is Clean House to come in and re-do my whole house. I wonder if they would?

There you go. Admitted on the internet. Now let's see if I can do it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat. I told DH that we either need to rent out a storage space or move to a bigger house. I still haven't put away the girls' Christmas toys because there's no room!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thought meredith! I too need to simplify- this is something I want to try and do myself also- as we begin to get the family room ready to paint I said- "I don't want so much on the walls" Less is more - great concept huh!

7:27 PM  
Blogger jedimerc said...

Happy New Year! And I consider them suggestions, not quite resolutions :)

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Mer, we all have our thang..you need a larger space girlfriend, or finish that basement of yours. Or build a room to attach the back of your house to the garage. I find no matter how much space one has, you always can find ways to fill it. I am a bad lead by example person too...
don't bring the white glove over to my house! Keeping things clean is a CONSTANT job and sometimes, I just get sick of it! I seriously could pick up stuff ALL DAY LONG, non-stop..ugh. Don't really have time for that, or money for a maid. So I guess I'll just have to deal :)
Give everyone chores..see how that goes! That is one of my new resolves here. Everyone is old enougth to make a bed and keep their own space picked up.
We will see how that one goes...
You still can stop by anytime, who cares how it looks!?! A friend would never judge another on this one :)

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't make them, but that is an excellent idea.

Now who is going to come over and organize my house? LOL!

And I feel your pain. We are a family of five living in a 1400 square foot, two-bedroom house. So yes, all three boys are crammed in one bedroom.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Pictures, I want pictures to see the changes you make. I'm in the same boat, complete chaos. Too much stuff! Give me a shovel, and I might find the den.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I despise clutter and I married a pack rat (yeah I know I am nuts). I did not realize how bad it was until Christmas. We had to move the train table from it's perfect spot to put the tree up. I went nuts for days because the train table was now in the middle of the living room. Finally I figured out what was making me nuts and I settled down. Good luck getting rid of your clutter!

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Happy One!
Winding down the weekend/ramblings
Do you know me?
I love carrots
ob·ses·sion - noun - 1. the domination of one's th...
Baby Jane says...
TT # 23
My new roommate
Kudos to Ace
And you can take THAT to the bank


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button