Monday, April 02, 2007

My Old Kentucky Home

I was a high school rah rah, and I never even gave college cheerleading a thought because I didn't have any tumbling in my repetoire.

In this part of the country, when you say the word Kentucky, you think of a few things: horses, beautiful country, basketball, and, believe it or not, cheerleading.

You see, my alma mater, the University of Kentucky, has won the national championship FIFTEEN times. They are a powerhouse in college cheering. Seriously. They really ARE good. And they don't have reps. Or at least I don't think they have reputations.

And the high schools in Lexington are just as competitive. Paul Laurence Dunbar HS, as well as Tates Creek, and outerlying high schools are rabid beasts when it comes to cheering.

And apparently, some television producers have tapped into that market.... the Kentucky cheerleader.

Cheer U is the newest installment, and I *think* it is on Bravo, but don't quote me. Ace and I watch it not for its content, but to see the scenes of the campus, reliving our glorious years on that campus.

And really ... they were glorious. Here's where I get all nostalgic on your butts....

It is a wonderful school, and secretly I will be depressed with a capital D if ONE of these kids doesn't choose it. It is my plan to move back down there someday because I love the area. It holds a lot of memories for Ace and I. For now, we are in a good area. I don't think I would want to raise small children there, just because I don't know a lot about their primary school system.

Because let's face it, when I mentioned those images when you hear the word Kentucky, education isn't on the top of the list. They are getting better, but not a lot.

Where was I ... oh yeah. Cheerleading. If you ever get a chance to catch an episode, it might be worth your time. Or not.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of rah rahs..no offense now to anyone reading. I hope and pray that one of my girls does not choose this as a sport. I was watching GMA this morning, they did a segment on how dangerous it is. How many girls have been paralyzed because of it. How it promotes that princess mentality.
Let's just stick to good old soccer where the worst thing that can happen is a broken leg...

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheerleading is a big thing in HS in our town. My 25 year-old cousin is actually one of the coaches. She just had her first baby in early Feb and is so committed to cheerleading that she packed up her infant son and carted him off to a competition when he was just barely 4 weeks old.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crazy! I always wanted to be a cheerleader, but was no where near graceful enough.

I love watching the competitions though like on ESPN, the just blow me away, jumping around and being thrown into the air.

again, crazy!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was never a cheerleader in high school but I'm hoping Girlie Girl will want to try out. What a great experience it must have been for you!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Ah yes.... spring break
The grass isn't always greener
Get your own dam* blog!
TT # 33
Another Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday
Cisco the horse
P.U.!!!!
Holy FRAK!
So in love


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button