Saturday, July 01, 2006

It never hurts to ask, does it? Well I don't know ... depends on what you're asking!

Garage sales bring out the best in people. Long gone are the days of some semblance of decency, really. However, I keep putting myself out there for this personal torture.

All in all, we had a great sale ... much better than when the inlaws were here .. about $ 700 more better. But we won't brag or anything ...

A person could be standing in front of a table with 20000 things on it, all marked with price tags, and they ask if the table is for sale ... well, it never hurts to ask.

Or a person could be holding up a Longaberger basket (ok ... there are some who might know what Longaberger is ... it is a local basket maker that is sold at those ... you know ... home shows .. we all love and adore those, don't we?) that is clearly marked $ 40 and ask if they can have it for $ 25.... well, it never hurts to ask.

Or someone could be standing there after you have given them a freaking tutorial on your Creative Memories oval and circle cutters and then ask if I would go lower than $ 15 on them... well, it never hurts to ask.

I HATE that phrase. Seriously, if you want to know the answer, just freaking ask without the passive/aggressive copout of "well .. it never hurts to ask."

You know what, yes it does because I will curse you and all yours as you walk out to your car without making ONE purchase.

Yes it does because when you ask me and insult my intelligence and question my pricing prowess, I will only hope that your projects will all come out looking wonky because you needed to have that buck or two knocked off of the already basement prices.

I mean, do you ever hear that question asked in a doctor's office? Hey ... I was wondering if you could submit these claims to my best friend's insurer because I don't have health insurance ... hey, it never hurts to ask.

Or a dr. to his patient: hey ... while I have you under, you want me to get rid of some of that flab on your arms for ya? Hey ... it never hurts to ask.

Or the grocery store: hey ... can I get this cartfull of groceries free? hey ... it never hurts to ask.

Maybe it doesn't hurt the person you are asking, but it sure hurts your credibility.

So yes ... it DOES hurt to ask.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I used to love Garage sales...my mum and I would get up bright and early and forage around amongst other people's stuff to find all those treasures I brought home and never used lol And saying that I have brought home many things of great use too!

The phrase "well, it never hurts to ask" annoys the crap out of me. The person saying it knows they're pushing their luck and while they may think it's ok to ask, it insults your intelligence and can make you feel that you should lower the price. Maybe you should increase the price to hack them off lol

Thanks for coming by my site and commenting :) I'm off to visit your renter now, and have a good day/night.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Selective memory
Good morning to my new renter!!!
Oh who are the people in your neighborhood?
Break out the wine and the margaritas
All grown up
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Nightmares abound
Coddled Customers, or Why I Would Never Make a Goo...
Godspeed, little bird
The Friday Five


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button