Friday, June 23, 2006

Godspeed, little bird

I had the kids in the van, and we were on our way to get a birthday present for one of Queen Bee's little friends.

There was a small branch in the middle of the road (and I am not going to think about how MUCH it looked like an olive branch), with a mourning dove trying to eat some leaves off of it.


Well, guess who didn't get out of my way in time.

And it wasn't one of those bumps and I could act like I hit a pothole.The bird made a very physical attempt (i.e. he tried to FLY) at getting out of my way, and then there was the bump noise, and then ...

feathers flew up from in front of my van and up my windshield (if you have ever seen the movie Mars Attacks where the Martians blast those doves that were released as a symbol of peace ... that was what it looked like).

The Door Man has very much gotten into birds lately. I introduced him to the mourning dove about three weeks ago, telling him the story about if you hear a mourning dove, it could mean it will rain. He took a great fancy to them.

Luckily, I had Queen and the Monkey in the seat where she could see it all (the middle set of seats). But with that I got the narration of it all ...

Oh no! Get out of the way, little bird! Mommy ... do you see that bird? Are you going to hit...oh no, you hit that bird, Mommy. Where is it? (the morbid part of her wins through ALL the time, which makes it easier) Oh Mommy... do you know what kind of bird that was? That was a mo.....

SSSHHHHHH! Don't you DARE say what it was. I can't let the Man know I killed it.

We pulled into the parking lot of the specialty store where the Mominator was working, and as I walked past the front of my van, I looked to make sure the bird wasn't stuck to any part of my car. He wasn't.

But there was that lone feather, blowing through the parking lot.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, poor birdie.

I once had a car that was a destined bird killer. A partridge, an unknown bird, and a half dozen little chickadees all committed birdicide with that car. The partridge was a loud thump and cracked my headlight casing.

The unknown bird was the silent one. I only discovered him when my friends cat was practically humping the front of my car pry him out of the grill.

The chickadees, like your bird, decided to fly at the last moment and we could hear them *plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink* hitting the underside of the car as we drove over them. Poor, stupid things.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

laughing at Sue: "poor, poor stupid things".. ha ha ha ha...

seriously though...that would've been traumatic for me...as many birds that have flown low in front of my car, I am always ducking them...or worried that I will hit them..

came via...causeisaidso!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bird killing bitch! Oh well, just tell em you learned it at VBS! Been drinking now, time for bed. Garage sale will come early.
Love you girl!
Tell your sweet pea husband thanks for keeping the rounders handy :)
cheers!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

The Friday Five
Lookit me!!!
Would you like some spray with that?
Odorific!
Seriously ... does she have children?
Yeah... ok.. but what do they DO?
Baptizing the bathroom
.....light the corner of my mind ....
And you would find that word where in the dictionary?
Who knew a relaxed bladder could feel so good?


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button