Monday, August 14, 2006

Some serious thoughts

Believe it or not, I do have some serious thoughts. They are normally provocated by something that happens close to me, or closer to me than I feel comfortable with.

A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine, Robin, had to deal with two funerals in one week. One was a suicide and the other was the result of a car accident. Both of these people were our age (30-mid 30s). Not that I knew these two gentlemen, but I do know Robin, and it was hard to hear about their deaths.

Recently, a fellow work at home mom (WAHM) found out that she had a mass in her lungs that has turned out to be cancerous. She has since found out that that cancer has moved to her brain and other regions of her body. I did some Googling last night to see that 4 out of 5 people who are diagnosed with lung cancer die within one year. This mom has not smoked one cigarette in her life. She has seven children. My heart is breaking for her, and it saddens me.

I have been reading the blog of a local girl who was diagnosed with Stage IV neuroblastoma. She has been through so many treatments, and recent scans have shown that there is progressive growth in her brain and liver. She is on a study that is pretty risky right now, swallowing her chemo in pills. And just the sheer amount of pills she has to take in one sitting ... it totally boggles my mind. She was taking it in Slim Fast shakes, but she couldn't stomach that (I don't know how she could), so she moved on to having her dad put the chemo in capsules. I look at her pictures, knowing that she is nearing the point in time when the statistics say she should no longer be on this earth.

A dear close friend of mine died from an aneurism just one week after the birth of her second child.

This all just breaks my heart. How can something that starts off so beautifully, feeling kicks of our babies in our wombs, listening to the heartbeat and never tiring of hearing that sound at our checkups, to having to deal with cancer and suicide and untimely death?

I could never imagine the plight of having to bury a child of mine. I cannot imagine how the parents of the child with neuroblastoma make it through their days, just thanking God that they have ONE more day with their child.

I know that nothing in this life is guaranteed. At a moment's notice, a life can be taken.

It makes me realize that to focus on the stupid things ... the things that make me mad for no apparent reason ... is just a waste of my energy and my time.

Because I think of this WAHM, newly-diagnosed with the most aggressive and deadliest type of cancer, and it makes me stop and think ... and be thankful. And wish that cancer would forever be taken away from this planet.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those types of things definitely make you think. It's a big draw back to my job and I often find myself looking at P or my kids and realizing that tomorrow things could change completely. Those are bad days.

I have a friend who lost her mom to lung cancer and again, the woman never smoked a day in her life.

Sending prayers to those you have posted about.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some awful things happen to some really lovely people. It's so sad.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

When I hear such sad news, I go directly to my kids, hug and kiss them, and play with them. Time spent with our loved ones is so precious.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

I have been thinking the same thing lately. There are so many things to worry about in the world, yet I'm not faced with any of them.

Counting my blessings...

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs, Meredith. I've been thinking the same things lately, as a second woman my age that I know has been diagnosed with breast cancer. In my twenty's lumps didn't mean much, but now...nearing 35...I know that it can change the world quickly.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. http://www.toyota-parts-8.info/Renault-19-16v-tuning.html Negatives about contact lenses Alaska breast enhancement capsules Tadalafil free consultation online Advertising email idea Side affects zyban Gps plotters http://www.stationeryset.info History + underwater hockey pontiac sunfire convertible red Thermostat on a 2.4l pontiac grand am

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

A free tube in every bowl
The answers to the burning TT questions
TT # 5
The King of Beers
The votes are in .....
All right, my readers .... GO VOTE!
A Servant's Heart
Yeehaw!!!
The answer to the $ 900 question
TT # 4


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button