Thursday, August 17, 2006

TT # 6


Dude. When Ace told me that Battlestar Galactica was being remade, and that Mary McDonnell was going to be in it, as well as Edward James Olmos, I didn't think I would watch one lick of it, because I grew up in the 70s, man. I was there for the original Star Wars. I was there for Buck Rogers (and man, did I ever have a crush on Gil Gerard ... until I learned that he wasn't such a nice husband when he was married to Connie Seleca). And I was most definitely there for the original BG series. Sure, it was cheesy. It was poorly acted. But it had Dirk Benedict. And Muffit. I LOVED Muffit. I wanted one. I even had a latch-hook pillow with Muffit on the front of it. I lovingly made that thing, and would pretend it was a real daggit. Did I mention that I was a sci fi geek from the start, or are you getting that already?

The late 70s/early 80s was a hey-day of sci fi. And I was in my element.

.
So when the Sci Fi Channel was throwing around discussions of re-making my childhood favorite, I was skeptical, and swore I would not watch it. However, I tuned in, became totally addicted, and now cannot wait for October 6 to roll around!

Thirteen Reasons Why the Knitting Maniac Loves the New Battlestar Galactica

1. I was skeptical when Starbuck had boobs. I didn't think they should have "messed" around with the gender of the original characters. But, Starbuck is a bad-ass, strong, and defiant woman.... my kinda gal.

2. The Cylons attempted annhilation of the human race. They used nukes, man. They made it so the humans could not return to their home planets. The original series just had them shooting their laser beams, knocking out buildings and what-not. This makes it more permanent and in your face.

3. There is this one point in the pilot where Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) was talking with a little girl on one of the ships that was not equipped with hyperdrive. Or jump warp whatever. When the Cylons caught up with that part of the fleet, they had to make the decision to jump to another quadrant, leaving behind the little girl's ship. The image of her sitting in an atrium area while the Cylons were attacking...

4. 33. You fans know what that is.

5. This series has explained Baltar. In the original, Baltar was immediately with the Cylons. No explanations whatsoever. Just boom ... and there is a human amongst the machines.

6. Seeing Baltar have his conversations with Six. I just love Baltar, even though he is the traitor.

7. Ok ... yeah. EJO ... he has had a shady past with his step-daughter. Really just some nasty allegations. But there is just something SEXY about him...

8. The Human version of the Cylons. That is what made the first episodes so cool: you had no idea who was going to be a Cylon, and neither did the humans who were surrounded by them. When we found out that Sharon was a Cylon ... man.

9. The theme song. I just love it. And I loved how they worked the original theme song into the last episode of last year. That was mega cool.

10. October 6 isn't as far away today as it was in February when they aired the last episode of the season, and I was throwing cloth diapers at the television, screaming obscenities.

11. The mechanical Cylons. They are BAAAD. They look BAAD. They act BAAD.

12. Apollo's six pack. Enough said.

13. It makes Friday nights fun!







Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



42 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops, i have no clue about your list, because believe it or not i have never watched it! *duck* am not a fan of sci-fi, at all....
Happy TT and thanks for visiting! ;)

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a braver soul than I am. I've not watched the "new" series because I loved the original. ;)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Gosh I didn't even know there was a new show! I remember watching the original one eons ago.

Very funny list, though!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Trisha said...

Gosh I am like nyasha, but thanks for stopping by to see my list. Maybe I will have to check the show out...

8:24 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

See, I never got into the original, but I LOVE the new show. I'm sure I don't "get" it all having missed the original, but still enjoy it.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

But we still have to wait for another couple of months to see the new season! ARGHHHH!! At least the new Stargates are beginning.....

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, you are so wierd right here...can't say I understand, but I still love you anyway...
:) I made my own Thursday 13 about you..check it out!
Love you girl!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the original, but not the one. altho it's supposed to be good! and it's nice to have Friday night show, since there ususally isn't much to choose from.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never saw the original, but new one might be interesting!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Southern Girl said...

So many of my friends are bonkers over this show -- I guess I'm going to have to break down and see what the fuss is about. ;)

Thanks for visiting my TT!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

I haven't a clue what you're talking about, but I do want to thank you for stopping by.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I watched it as a kid, but never knew so much about it, until you!

And I won't watch the new series either!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a total fan, and I thoroughly enjoyed your T13! I couldn't agree more - this one is great. I had my doubts about a female Starbuck in the beginning, but I love her. I love the human cylons intermixed and trying to figure out if they are human or Cylon. Love Baltar talking to Six and getting caught looking like a fool. Got mad in Feb when they ended it that way and then left us hanging until Oct. Oct 6 cannot get here soon enough for me! :)

Great T13 - hope you have a wonderful day!

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Havent watched it yet. I might need to.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even know there was a new shoe. I guess maybe I am too young for the original though.

My TT is up. Have a wonderful Thursday.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I've never seen it but it sounds really cool! I love getting hooked on a new show. One more reason to be happy about the new fall season, I guess. I can't wait!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger K said...

Sorry, I really know nothing about your list...

Have a great Thursday though! :)

10:18 AM  
Blogger Lyn said...

I've not seen the new BG...but remember the old one. Plus, Space 1999. Remember? lol My T13 - Ice Breakers Edition - is up at Bloggin' Outloud. Thanks! lgp

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only seen one episode of the new BG (we don't have cable or Sky or digital yet). But yes, I liked what I saw. I remember the old one; I was a SF nut in the 70's too. Still am! Thanks for visiting me.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I wish we had the new series over here, I love Battlestar Galactica!
Thanks for stopping by my TT>

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that series, but wanted to leave a comment Happy TT!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved the original, with Dirk Benedict, after reading your TT, I have to check out the new one!!
Have a Great Thursday!!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember enough about the original series to comment much. Although, I did have a crush on Gil Gerard too.

Oh, and I had an R2D2 robot. Unfortunately my brother took it upon himself to see what made R2D2 tick.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Darla said...

I have to confess, I haven't even seen the original. It's in my Netflix queue, though.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Frances D said...

Yep a six pack can make a Friday night ;) Thanks for sharing.
Take care,
Frances

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I was exactly the same! I swore blind I wasn't gonna watch it and it wasn't long before I was buying the DVDs. I'm still not keen on the female Starbuck though, she really annoys me sometimes.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know they were doing a re-make. I saw the original in the theater as a child.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Dane Bramage said...

Not only did they give Starbuck boobs but they gave Boomer boobs. And those were mecho-biolgical or whatever Cylons are. They completely destroyed the original "3 Amigos" dynamic of the first series.

Thanks for stopping by my T13. BTW Apollo's six pack was at Gen Con last week. In fact Both Apollos were Guests of Honor. I ran into Richard Hatch in the hall.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starbucks is awesome! My husband has gotten me hooked on this and other sci-fi shows lately.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Cooth said...

Dude - I so have to watch this!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Glad you ended up liking it. I've never watched it myself.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your list is as incomprehensible to me as mine must have been to you! Maybe we both learned something today.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

I love Battlestar Galactica. I actually have the original on video believe it or not. LOL

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally lost, but then I've never seen the show. I'm one of those dreaded reality TV geeks [gasp]. I know. I'm seeking a 12 step program. ;)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Lilize said...

i feel like i'm reading an inside joke hehehe

hope it's ok that i've put you on my TT list already

7:29 PM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Lilize... it's all good! Thanks!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

okay, i confess, i know nothing of battlestar galactica. thank you for enlightening me a little. thank you also for visiting my tt this week.

7:41 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I can't relate to your lists. Have never seen this Galactica thing. Anyway, thanks for dropping by.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

That is the one reason I wish that we got the sci fi channel. I have seen a few episodes on NBC and I am totally hooked. The DVD's are $$ but I am scheming of a way to get my hands on them.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen it but it sounds like I'd like it! I love SciFi, Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, Dr Who... very cool!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never seen this series before but it sounds like something DH would watch. Happy T13 and thanks for stopping by.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Totally love BG. Hooked, absolutely hooked! Sooooooooo stressful! October, hurry and get here.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

My new tenant! Give her some love
A glimpse of the competition yet to come
Yesterday, the Door Man and the Chandelier Monkey ...
Some serious thoughts
A free tube in every bowl
The answers to the burning TT questions
TT # 5
The King of Beers
The votes are in .....
All right, my readers .... GO VOTE!


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button