Wednesday, August 23, 2006

TT # 7


When I was in college, my mother suggested that I go to one of the career fairs that Cedar Point, a local amusement park, was having. I didn't think too much about it, so I went ahead and made the trip to Sandusky, Ohio.


When I arrived, my future boss pulled me aside and interviewed me, asking me if I could work with large amounts of money. Of course I could. I could juggle 10 plates on my head, and drink a Pepsi at the same time, if you asked me. I wouldn't do it WELL, but I could try. That started my career in the Group Sales Booth at the Point. I worked there for three years.


A lot of people go to amusement parks to have a good time. Not much thought is put into the people who make sure your ride is safe, or make sure your food is good, or make sure those batrhooms are clean. But there are hundreds of college kids, enticed by the sweet sound of not having to return home for the summer to live with good old Mom and Dad, who make those places run. I was one of them.

Thirteen Reasons Why Working At Cedar Point Was So Much Da** Fun

1. I have already mentioned it before, but I will mention it again: you don't have to spend your summer with your parents. I chose not to spend three summers with them. I moved from college to CP back to college back to CP back to college back to CP and then on to law school. It was a sweet existence.

2. You get to go into the park FOR FREE. In those days, when I was young and stupid, and had no real concept of my mortality, I would ride those crazy rides whenever I felt like it. It was awesome, man!

3. We would make fun of EVERYone who walked into the park who wore matching outfits. It didn't matter if they looked nice or not; they were fair game if their shirts matched. The best ones were the shirts that would say "I'm With Stupid" and have arrows pointing in the direction of each other. When they would get all messed up, and be standing on the wrong side of one another ... well they were just insulting everyone's intelligence there.

4. The night life was AMAZING! Imagine ... a college scene ... ALL SUMMER LONG with NO classes to attend. Yeah sure... there was that work thing. But who cared?

5. Employee fun nights where we could ride rollercoasters in the dark. Those were awesome times!

6. Cedar Point at night ... there is nothing more magical for me. I love the lights of the Causeway. I loved the feeling of urgency of the guests to get things done in a short amount of time.

7. Ace worked there one summer. I will never forget it: he came to visit me one weekend, and I BEGGED him to see if he could get a job up there. He went to personnel, and he walked up to the door of the booth and told me that he would be working in the Merchandise Warehouse. It was a magical summer, really. So many fun things to do.

8. Sitting at the fountain at nighttime with Ace, with a pint of Ben & Jerry's that they sold in Ace's dorm, and watching everyone make their ways home.

9. My first summer, I lived in a dorm right NEXT to the Corkscrew. It wasn't a huge ride, but I lived right next to the hill. I would lie in bed at night, and my bed would shake because of the train going up the hill. It was hilarious.

10. Having a crush on my boss. There, I said it. I was SOOOOO enamored of my boss. The feeling was SOOOOO not mutual.

11. The people I got to meet. Although I don't keep in touch with her, my roommate one year was in my wedding party. Good times... good times.

12. Even though I hated them, the Muffleheads (these annoying mayfly type of insects) would offer some great entertainment. They came out in droves during a particular period of time, and they would literally swarm you. They wouldn't bite or anything, but when they would hit something or someone with a little bit of force, they would disintegrate into a green pool of goo. We would go out and watch people on the rides hit a patch of them and, they would purse their lips together and squeeze their eyes shut. It was hilarious.

13. The lake at night. Ooooohhhhh.. so gorgeous. The sound of the waves, hitting the beach. Just absolutely wonderful. Sitting on the beach, listening to the waves, watching the light at the lighthouse, wondering if the guy on the rake machine is going to see you sitting there, in the dark, on the sand.

There are just so many things that I could talk about. I just loved to work there so much. I take great pride in saying I once worked at Cedar Point. I remember when I would look at alums crazily when they would spout off about where they worked when they were my age. Now I think it is endearing.







Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



23 Comments:

Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

You worked at Cedar Point? That is sooooo cool. I live in Arizona, but have been VERY lucky to vacation in Cedar Point. Those rides are AWESOME!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Elleoz said...

That is really cool that they let the employees live there at the park. We have a Carowinds here and they don't do that. I worked for Carwinds for a short time when I was 16, but I didn't like the 45 minute drive everyday.

Those are some awesome memories!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a cool job!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved it Mer! Help me girl! I posted but no fancy sign! I need computer lessons! Had an awesome time last night. Our Wed night flings, good times, good times.
I am jealous of your CP times, one could only imagine the fun times..the secret life of CP employees.
:)

9:03 AM  
Blogger JAM said...

I always thought that would be cool to work at a theme park. Where I grew up in Louisiana, there wasn't anything like that within a 10 hour drive. I cut grass for money. Your college job sounds much more fun.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that sounds like SOOO much fun!!!

There's aren't really any amusement parks in NZ .. well .. there's one but it sucks.

Just another Thursday Thirteener passing through :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

This is great! #3 cracked me up!!!

My tt is up too

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like that was a really cool job!! And I'm jealous you didn't have to go home to your parents during the summer- I did and it sucked!
Happy TT

2:13 PM  
Blogger Frances D said...

Sounds like the most fun ever. I worked summers and during the school year for my dad.
Not a rollercoaster ride let me tell ya.
Thanks for sharing.
Frances

2:25 PM  
Blogger Tan said...

I LOOOOVE Cedar Point!! And that was you laughing at us with the matching t-shirts!? hahaha Sounds like a fun job!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

That really DOES sound like a fun memory! I always wished I had gone cool places in the summer during college to work. College kids work at all the coolest places - national parks, amusement parks, cruise ships, Mackinac Island.

Thing is, it's the only time in your life when you really don't have any responsibility. Great memories.

Thanks for sharing!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like some very fond memories - thanks for sharing them with us :)

Have a great day, and thanks for stopping by my T13 earlier!

10:04 PM  
Blogger K said...

Sounds like lots of fun, fun memories!! A great list!

Thanks for visiting my site! :)
Hope you had a happy Thursday!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

i used to go to cedar point all the time as a kid. gosh, it's been ages!

10:59 PM  
Blogger crse said...

Cedar Point totally rocks. My best friend worked there in college too! Im going to Geauga Lake (pale comparison) tomorrow and youve got me in the spirit!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

I've never been to Cedar Point, but I get the picture. Cool job!
Thanks for stopping by to meet Freyja.

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to work in a theme/amusement park. It must have been so much fun! The t-shirt thing was hilarious! Happy T13 and thanks for stopping by!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Great TT
My TT is up
Have a wonderful day!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

I loved going to Cedar Point. I've only been twice, since I don't get to Ohio that often since I've graduated from Wittenberg in Springfield, but they were glorious times. To me, the best part is the coolness off the lake. I do remember the Corkscrew, too.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cedar Point is P's favorite place. He's originally from downstate Michigan and talks of driving down w/his buddies and late night coaster riding. We will get there someday.

Great TT!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

How cool!!! It sounds like so much fun! Happy Belated TT!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That is very cool. I loved my HS and college jobs also. Sometimes even now, with a degree... I kind of wished I had them back. Great 13. -M

2:48 PM  
Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

I enjoyed reading this. I've never been to Cedar Point but I hear it's awesome. My son went for the first time last year with his gf and her parents. He raves about it. I've got it on my list of places to go. I like roller coasters but unfortunately hubby does not but 3 of my 4 kids do.

Thanks for visiting me TT!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

Drama with a Capital D
When the Door Man was about 2 1/2 years old, and ...
Well I would probably just wear my street clothes
I have figured out why it is raining
We, the People, in order to form a more perfect un...
TT # 6
My new tenant! Give her some love
A glimpse of the competition yet to come
Yesterday, the Door Man and the Chandelier Monkey ...
Some serious thoughts


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button