Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Reciprocation

Queen gets invited to other people's houses for playdates more often than she invites people over here.

And I am starting to feel guilty.

Starting. Not all the way there yet.

Yesterday, the girl across the street from us called to invite Queen over for a while. When I came home from class, I looked up at their house and had that Mommy instinct kick in, and I knew my child was in that house, sleeping over. And sure enough, she was.

They have a huge house. They only have two girls ... twins. I mean, this house is really big. And then there are other friends who have huge houses and are either only children, or the youngest of a much older sibling.

My house ... just is NOT conducive to playdates. It really isn't. It is stretching it to have the five of us in here, let alone an extra person or two. When it has to be done, I do it. But when it is voluntary, I am SO not on top of things, offering to have people over.

I DO need to invite one of the Man's friends this week, though just so he has someone over. And I don't mind that so much. If that one turns into a sleepover, that is ok because the Man has his own room, and he actually keeps it CLEAN. The girls room looks like five world wars have been waged in there on a daily basis. It just does not stay clean. EVER.

And there are two girls in that room. If the Queen ever had a sleepover, someone would have to be displaced from a room. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

So I will continue to live in the beginnings of my guilt-ridden feelings, but I don't think they will ever escalate into full-blown guilt. I remember spending the night a LOT at friend's houses, but I do not remember at all them spending the night at mine. I think I had one sleepover, and I remember it being with more than one person, and my mother's nerves were frazzled the next morning.

So I guess I attribute this to my mother...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let your guilt get to you..I bet nobody even gave that a second thought...
We would totally be having M over this week if Carly were not gone..
However, I am kidless..time to celebrate! haha
CKU baby, CKU...are you ready?

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't reciprocate all that much either. All our kids friends come from families where they have their own rooms, their parents are loaded or something, so they rarely want to stay at our house when given the option.

Eh. Whatever. After a little episode that we shall call "The Day Of Stench" where one of DT's friends came over to spend the night and stunk up our house so bad it almost literally needed fumigating...I no longer care. LOL!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Oh man, Sue. Seriously? Grodie!!!!

She came home wearing DAISY MAE shorts.... these things should have been retired LAST year ... and there she is, wearing them. They are a 6X. Let's just say she ain't been a 6X for oh two years now. So I am sure this mother thinks I am some kind of loser. I made it a point to tell her that I was GONE when she came home to pack. She had on a white undershirt with stains ALL over it.

She looked like someone shook Wal Mart and she fell out.

1:17 PM  
Blogger The Creeper said...

"She looked like someone shook Wal Mart and she fell out."

OMG, that has to be the funniest line ever. In fact, I think I may have peed myself when I read that.

Yeah, it was bad. This little friend was a touch overweight and had horrendous BO. Horrible! Drummerboy has BO issues, but I would never, in a million YEARS let him leave the house like that boy's mom did. Never. Neither would Pman.

It was so bad that the sleeping bag he slept in needed to be washed...twice...in the largest capacity washing machine up at the laundromat.

Kids now have to bring their own sleeping bags.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with robin, I bet no one even thinks another second about it.

My BFF keeps my girl all the time overnight, but we hardly ever have hers over. It's just not a big deal to them. Also, they have three kids and I have one, so it's easier for them to just keep her, it's only one more.

I got a bit bonkers when I have all three of hers, especially because we have a home like yours, a bit on the small side and hard to fit our family to begin with.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

We hardly ever have anyone over either. I always felt bad that I could not host out play group but we just do not have the room. I think the guilt will evaporate eventually.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Janean said...

OH yah! I am SO there. I actually have three girls in one room and a boy in his own room. And I am totally shameless...cuz I use the horrible room as an excuse NOT to have friends over. "I'm sorry, I would LOVE to have your child over, but, you KNOW how it is when the room is too messy to see the carpet." Add appropriate Eye Rolling.
:D SO funny! Thanks for sharing. You made me smile this morning.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

My Old Kentucky Home
Ah yes.... spring break
The grass isn't always greener
Get your own dam* blog!
TT # 33
Another Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday
Cisco the horse
P.U.!!!!
Holy FRAK!


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button