Friday, September 14, 2007

Starting off on the wrong foot

This was the first week of school for the kids.

The Man, of course, had his applesauce encounter on Wednesday. By the way, the shirt returned home yesterday. So I will release the Canada shirt.

The Monkey had a little cry on Wednesday because she missed me. She did let me know that her teacher is "soft" like me. Great. But the good thing is, that teacher is a tall beanpole. So there is some hope.

And the Queen ... well, she was doing good until yesterday when she announced that she would be moved to yellow (they have a green/yellow/red/blue behavior system at school) if she didn't return her forms.

Yellow? Automatically? That didn't seem too fair. So I asked her if her teacher said that, or she was coming up with that on her own. She said the teacher didn't say that. But she said that the teacher did single her out, in front of the whole class, and announced that SHE was the only one who had not returnedher school forms.

This ticks me off. There is nothing that I can't stand more is public humiliation. If you don't have the forms, and it isn't the CHILD who fills those forms out in the first place, do NOT call the kid out as if she is some common criminal in front of a class of students she is JUST getting to know. She is timid enough as it is. This is really not acceptable.

So I wrote "the" note. The note that says something to the effect of so sorry for the inconvenience of not getting the forms turned in, but the last time I checked, that was a parent responsibility. If she needed to communicate that with ME, then she should have CALLED me or sent a note home.

Doesn't take much effort to write a note ... hey, loser mom in a class of overachieving parents, where in the heck are those forms for your deadbeat kid?

I used the words fault and blame a few times ....

Starting the school year off well with this one, I think.

This will probably overshadow the time when the Queen's looping teacher for 1st and 2nd grade asked me if I was the Queen's grandmother.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Michele R said...

It is SO nice to know that I'm not the only one who occasionally forgets a note (or permission slip or milk money) from time to time. We're only human, right? The teacher was way out of line by singling out your child in front of the class. Last week, my son's teacher gave him an answer to a question I had emailed her about. I love my son, but I don't think at 8, he should be responsible for bringing a verbal answer home to me.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I hate school paperwork. I just love it when they send home a paper that says, "Read and keep pages 1 and 2 and sign this page, page 3, and return to the school office." Yet there is no page 1 and 2.

Yes, that form came home again this year. It's the internet indemnity release form or something like that. I always write on it that I do not sign something that I haven't read and that pages 1 and 2 were missing. I'll gladly sign as soon as they fork out pages 1 and 2.

Stupid.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon has the same discipline system at his school. According to him another child asked him a question during announcements he answered the child and was moved to yellow. He came home crying about it. He hates the thought of "breaking" a rule. I thought that was pretty harsh. But maybe I don't know the whole story. I used to be totally against homeschooling but I tell you sometimes I can see lots of reasons to do it. I could never handle that responsibility personally but I have a new respect for those who do and do it well.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

Homeschooling entered my thoughts, too Jacque. I couldn't do it, but you know ... these are flipping KIDS. They aren't criminals out there to get the next person in trouble by whispering an answer to them, or forgetting their freaking paperwork that is SOOOO the responsibility of the parent.

So I will either see a note coming home or I won't hear another thing from this teacher.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Taoknitter said...

Calling the child out in public...that's the stuff that chaps my a** and gets missile notes fired off from here, too! The teachers at my divas' schools look sideways at me until I smile at them to let them know I am not gunning for them at that particular moment. There is actually one teacher who quickly walks the other way when she sees me...and Maggie had her 3 years ago!! Stick to your guns, Mer.

Don't you love the "soft" comments. Maggie once told me one of her teachers was comfortable like me. When I was confused, she put her arms around me, rested her head on my belly, and said, "You know, comfortable like a pillow." Damn kids....that belly used to feel like a washboard!

I hope life is settling down for you. XO

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Lovely She, that is me!

I'm a mom of three peeps ... Queen Bee, The Door Man, and the Chandelier Monkey, and wife to Ace, the Helpful Hardware Man. I created this space to get away from the people known as my inlaws, and because life with three kids and a hubby is all Unexplored Territory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The nine-year-old who seems to be growing older every minute, has an opinion and a comment for everything, and has a true servant's heart.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The seven-year-old who loves the organization of things, will someday be someone's therapist because of his kind soul, and will more than likely be living with us until he is 40 years old.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The five-year-old with the 13-year-old attitude, who has a dictator's personality, asks you to watch her all the time and say "hold on" to keep your attention, and will someday come home on the back of some dude's motorcycle with 10 tatts and a body piercing or two.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The man of the house, the fixer of things, the winner of prizes, and the only person in his family to escape the South.

A convo at our house
My 6 am dreams
This, my friends, is the true definition of TMI
Remember those Staples commercials...
Dear (Insert Name Here)
Wow... where IS your mother?
To My Little Man
Shhhh.... what's that I hear?
Clean Sweep, Mother Nature Style
LIke Dorothy says...


RKWP
Christie
Aleta


April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics

ROFL button